or Connect

Posts by MJB

I haven't been on mothering in ages but I am having some trouble with my gifted son. He is 7 and in third grade. Until this year he was in private school where he was not especially challenged, but they did differentiate for him and the head of school was well informed about gifted issues. Anyway, this year we decided to try public school for financial and other reasons, and long story short, he hates it. We applied to transfer to Montessori and it was denied by the...
Thanks for your posts.  I definitely want to wait and see how it goes for a while. I know his 1st grade teacher wanted him to get the teacher he has so I know it is the best placement. The teachers at his school are all very good. We did look into public school, including a gifted and talented magnet, which he was accepted into, but the gifted coordinator there said they didn't have any kids in his grade near his level and he would probably be subject accelerated to...
I'm not a big MDC poster anymore, but this forum was helpful when my son was younger.  Anyway, my middle son, age 6, is starting 2nd grade tomorrow. He was lucky to have a fabulous teacher for 1st who gave him a lot of freedom to do his own thing and really appreciated his quirks. He also had a boy in his class who was working near his level, so they were able to do reading/spelling/etc. as a pair. They worked together in K also. This year, that kid moved away and we...
I haven't been online much lately. I'm in nursing school, the kids have swim team and soccer, and my computer was down.  L (6) will be in 2nd grade this fall. This summer he is reading the Percy Jackson series and A Young People's History of the United States. His 1st grade teacher said he was at about a 7th grade reading level. He just joined the swim team (my oldest started 1.5 yrs. ago) and has improved every week. He got his first blue ribbons this week (although...
My 6 (almost 6.5) yr. old also skipped a grade, and is in 1st grade-- he played basketball with his grade, and was fine. He plays club soccer and has been playing U8 since before he turned 6. We got lucky that he's pretty athletic, so the age difference isn't a problem for now. I imagine it'll be a problem later on when the other kids hit puberty. Are there any other clubs to look into? Most clubs here aren't too pricy until U9 or even U11-- U8 teams are only $80-150...
We are straight with our kids. We teach them what bragging is and that it's rude. 8 is more than old enough to get it. He's 8-- teach him to answer that he's in 2nd or 3rd grade if someone asks. 
  I think they're fine unless your kid is really sensitive to scary or dark themes. I don't think there's any language anyone would be offended by. The first 3 books are probably fine for every kid-- the fourth is where they get more intense. A friend's 8 year old only read the first 3 and is waiting on the rest; my 6 yr. old has loved all the books (I think he's on the 6th now and started them 3-4 weeks ago). My oldest listened to the audio books at 6 and read the books...
My 6 yr. old 1st grader is about to finish the Harry Potter series, and is also reading the Rick Riordan books (The Kane Chronicles and Percy Jackson and the Olympians) and "The Name of this Book is Secret" at school. He was recently assessed at a 7th grade reading level but his interest level is pretty typical for his grade. He really, really loved Suzanne Collins' Gregor the Overlander series but I won't let him read the Hunger Games. My oldest son isn't gifted but...
My 9 yr. old was walking to the library, checking out books, and walking back by himself at 7.
She sounds like a kid who would love school. Why don't you want to let her go? I unschooled my oldest for kindergarten, but it didn't work out great so we tried public 1st grade. He's in 3rd grade now and aside from a brief period of homeschooling in 1st grade (we moved and got a bad school placement that took a while to sort out), has been happily public schooled since. My second is in 1st grade now. He's gifted-- was reading at a 3rd grade level before 4-- and was...