or Connect

Posts by alton

I've been taking my DS to an occupational therapist for the last couple of months and she mentioned recently that his listening needs more work.  She recommends some special headphones and music, but he really dislikes this task in her sessions and I'll be honest that I'm very dubious about it.  Money is tight, and I want to spend it effectively iykwim. My own observation of him is that his listening is either great or something he struggles with, and that when he is...
thanks for sharing cassandraz.  Seems insurmountable until you break it into small steps.  I'm not even sure how to begin to tackle the mountains of plastic.  Every time I turn around there seems to be another present of a toy with a thousand little pieces, or a battery operated noise maker.  Fair play to you for getting your in-laws on board with this!
thanks for that reply!  It's so interesting to read the details of your days.  I'm caught up at the moment in wanting to change so much of our daily life, and reading about yours I stop and think "I do that", or "that's a bit like when I do XXX, if I just change a little bit"....makes everything more manageable. When I think about my own childhood, my mother naturally established rhythms in our home.  Even as an adult, when I visit home and she is not there, it's like...
I've been reading bits and pieces on this forum after getting interested initially reading some of the fabulous craft ideas when I was searching for christmas gift inspirations and I've been coming back and back again. A lot of ideas I've found here resonate for me, and maybe particularly at the moment when I feel so helplessly swept up in the craziness that is Christmas. But the ideal of a media-free home is a long way off and without any of my relatives, and...
Ooh great ideas there, thanks! I'm getting peckish just reading them. sweetfoxes - thanks for those great and practical tips. It never dawned on me that stacking wasn't a runner. I would HATE to think someone might risk getting sick rather than offend me, so really appreciate you sharing your wisdom. AlsoSarah - I'd love that recipe if you don't mind sending it. Thanks!
I'm planning a birthday party for my toddler and I'm looking for some suggestions. To keep it easy on myself, I'm going to have two parties - one with my side of the family at the weekend and one with the in-laws on the evening of his actual birthday. Cake: I thought I'd do a multi -layer cake to try and keep everyone happy. The top layer will be a cup-cake sized cake for the birthday boy to squish and eat however he likes. I'd prefer if it wasn't full of...
I don't normally post much on this forum since my daughter was born and all my personal time vanished! But I really need to talk about this issue to people who don't think that co-sleeping is the invention of the devil. We've had 5 and half months of wonderful co-sleeping and while it has it's downsides I've really enjoyed the benefits and the closeness. In the beginning I seemed to have a deep intuitive bond with my baby, waking just as she stirred etc. In fact my...
It sounds to me like you need to have a strong advocate that you can depend on, so that if you do go into hospital you can switch off and focus on labour, and let someone else fight the battles if they need fighting. The last thing you need is to be going into a "war zone" when you should be feeling relaxed and safe. Do you know anyone who would be a good advocate for you - obviously your midwife will to an extent, but maybe (maybe not) you need more than just her in...
Our plan is to hook up a hose to the hot water pipe for the washing machine. It means that we use a hose nearly twice the diameter that we would use for the hot tap, the flow is much faster. I don't know how your hot water system works, but we can switch ours completely over from the radiators to just heat the water tank, and crank up the thermostat to full. We think it will still take two tanks to fill the pool, and we plan to insultate under the pool (we have a cold...
DirtRoadMamma - that's a very sensible and inspired idea!