or Connect

Posts by thatgirliknew

No problema! I had NO clue about it either. A blogger I really like posted an article from there (The "Those People" article on ScaryMommyNation) and when I was reading the article I learned about the project. Well, that's one holiday down to not have to worry about. I'm missing out on HH here this year because I've been a member for a long time and have the post count, but I was without internet for a long time, so I've only been "consistently" active since August. We'll...
I've never cooked a chicken either... 
Thank you. Now, that's a whole nother ballgame. lol. I have never in my life cooked a Thanksgiving dinner, and I rarely cook meat. What I actually think I'm going to do is let my cousin and her partner come over for Thanksgiving. They are young (18 & 19), not on GREAT terms with their families and just recently moved into their own place. They have very little and she was talking last night about having to use a good chunk of her food stamps on a turkey this month. I was...
I hate it when I hear that every adoption is coercive, etc. There are definitely agencies like that. Mine was anything but that. I decided that based on numerous circumstances I was not able to parent another child. Through a friend, I heard about an amazing family that was looking to adopt. I told her to pass on my information. The next day, I was called by that family and talked over the entire situation, our expectations, etc. Then she found an attorney that handled...
I'm so excited for everyone who has managed to get their applications in! I hope we can all get sponsored. "ScaryMommy Nation has received your application for assistance through the Thanksgiving Project and we are pleased to inform you that your application has been approved. You can expect your gift approximately two weeks before Thanksgiving, so please keep an eye out for it." I received an e-mail saying that, actually before I even received the email saying,...
Just thought I'd let you know, the Thanksgiving application is accepting submissions again.
Aced a Spanish quiz.   Went through one half of about four rooms chock full of donations for our yard sale at the organization I'm working for doing pricing and organizing. 3/5 hours and my cousin and I have only made it through maybe a tenth of the donations!
I loved it too. Something that's been irking me lately, mostly because I read comments on blogs and news sites (even though I know they'll infuriate me) is the idea that we are not "deserving poor" (as in we MUST be abusing the system) because we might dress nicely, or have a nice cell phone, or buy the occasional snack food on Food Stamps, or whatever other random judgment. I've even seen one person recently say people on welfare aren't deserving if they have a tv or a...
Same here. I bookmarked it and hope I remember to regularly check it. It seems like an awesome project. Glad I could (hopefully) be of some assistance to you. :)
For anyone who may need it, the ScaryMommy website (which I just learned about today because of a great blog post called "Those People") will be offering Thanksgiving dinner help to those who need it. The application is temporarily closed due to backlog, but will reopen, worth keeping an eye on. No post requirements or anything, just apply.