or Connect

Posts by thatgirliknew

Starting in 2005 you could claim as a dependent a qualifying child, qualifying relative, or household member. They are considered a qualifying household member if they lived with you from Jan. 1 through Dec. 31. (The exception to this is if the relationship between you and the dependent violates local law. So I guess, in states that ban cohabitation, you're out of luck.) Their gross income for the year must be less than $3,200. (This includes all money, property, and...
Oh, I know how the conversation came up. I was on our local Freegan board and I asked if anyone had an automatic blood pressure monitor for her because I've already bought her two this year and they aren't working. (I don't know if she's somehow breaking them or if I just bought shady ones, lol) But my friend told me to make sure I saved all of my receipts of stuff I bought for her to claim on my taxes. So I messaged her and told her I didn't file taxes, how does that...
Hello everybody! Anyone in here a tax guru? I have some questions. 2010 I was married and filed joint taxes, had some income but not as much as my husband. 2011 I was divorced and had income so I filed my own taxes. 2012 I did not work, lived with my ex-husband again and he claimed me as a dependent, plus our daughter and my son. So he got his refund, the eitc for both kids, and my education credits. 2013 Single. Have not worked a traditional job this year. Full-time...
Thanks guys! I'm just getting really frustrated because my daughter is starting to talk less in certain situations because now that she's in school and has been in daycare for a few months, she realizes that she doesn't speak as clearly as other children and that a lot of people don't understand what she's saying. The school district is huge and I'm sure that's part of why they are dragging their feet, but I want her to get the help she needs sooner rather than later.
I have been stressing over taking math since I started school a year ago and have been putting it off. In high school I received a one point above failing grade in Algebra I, and a C in Algebra II (and that's just because the instructor basically let me memorize the test). When I took the math placement test for college, I tested into the second of three levels of remedial math. It was 5 credit hours and $550, plus you get no actual college credit for it. AND, completing...
To your knowledge is a school allowed to say they won't accept an outside evaluation for consideration of an IEP? It would be much quicker to get a speech evaluation through her insurance than to wait for the school, but they are saying they won't accept it.   Thanks!
My Spanish textbook will actually come in handy in keeping my Spanish handy as well as for the free Spanish classes that my work teaches weekly. So I actually do think it's a good investment for that one.
My Spanish textbook is loose leaf and I had to pay for an online access code. Altogether it ran about $200. I can use the book for three semesters of Spanish and the access code for expires in a year I think. So, in that situation I'm paying about $70 per class for an EXCELLENT Spanish program. My Social Problems book and access code was about $140, and we're not using the book or code and it's going to be next to impossible to sell (although I haven't opened the access...
I can get a speech evaluation from a private source, BUT the school system apparently won't honor it for her IEP or "points" to get into Head Start. They're telling me "The only way to get speech through the school is to go through our people." and "Since she's only three, she probably won't get into Head Start without the speech evaluation." She goes to a NAEYC accredited child care, so even though our Head Start program is great here, I wasn't too worried about her...
Over the past year, I had realized that my daughter had a speech concern. I saw online that a stranger should understand 75% of what was being said. They couldn't. I looked at the sounds she should be able to make, she can't make a lot of them. She has a great vocabulary and once you're around her enough you can make sense of most of what's being said, but I definitely have concerns. She was in Head Start last year in a small town. They said they screened her in April, no...