or Connect

Posts by redvlagrl

As a professional musician (viola/violin) I would definitely recommend that piano as the starting instrument. In fact we intend to start our kids on piano when they begin lessons. The reasons are somewhat complicated, but basically the fact that the piano has all the notes laid out on the keyboard for you is great, plus it prevents the child associating a particular note with a fingering pattern (as on violin). Basicially it promotes more "correct" music pedagogy. Also,...
Wow. I am going to be the dissenter here, but there is no way I would put a life jacket on my kid for the beach. The ocean is dangerous. I want my kids to grow up knowing this without the false sense of security a life jacket gives. Basically, until my child is an excellent swimmer they go into the water with me within arms reach.   I grew up in Australia and it's totally unheard of to swim in a life jacket. 
I have 2 kids and have been nursing now for over 3 years. I know that's not much compared to some of you, but it feels like a lot to me!!   My kids are 18 mths apart and we tandemed until DD cued a self weaning (refused for a few days and then I wouldn't let her go back) at just over 2 years.   DS is currently 20 mths and only nurses once a day, though I really would like him to stop. I feel as though I am "touched out" and when he nurses it makes me want to...
Dips - does she do dips? If so, then you could do dips like hummus which are healthy and caloric (olive oil!) or guacamole. Perhaps she could help you mash the avocado?
Well, where I grew up there was not special school bussing like in Nth America, but we had a free bus pass to use the city bus/trains/subway. So from age 10 I had basically free rein on public transit and I loved it. Could you kids take a city bus at least partially?
Hmm, my guess would be some sort of strep throat - my kids always have sweet/pungent/pus-like breath when they are getting sick. But I would get it chekced out for sure, esp if it's been going on for a while. After all, a finger prick test is easy and relatively non-invasive.
My two kids are vastly different in what they will eat, despite us having treated them the same. Both are fruit devotees and will not turn down fruit. Ever.   DD is 3 and has always been a great eater and will eat most things (too numerous to list all), but like a PP, she also loves frozen peas, corn and blueberries, still frozen.   DS is 20 mths and is pickier. He doesn't like most veg. Even if he gets a small piece in his mouth accidentally he will spit it out!...
Well, unfortunately it might be that she doesn't need a nap every day anymore :(   Our DD (also 3) doesn't need one daily, though every few days she sleeps. Honestly, I bribe her to have quiet time by allowing her to watch a show on our computer (we don't have an actual TV) - usually Angelina Ballerina - only after a nap or quiet time of at least 2 hours. I have to do this for my own sanity, plus she is a beast all afternoon if she doesn't rest!   Also, I think...
I was going to say See Kai Run, but I see you've seen them. We have also used Converse - the sole is flexible enough for me. Other than that, we seem to have maxed out the really soft options for outdoor shoes now that DD is in a toddler size 9.    I bought some totally soft soles from Etsy (exactly like Robeez) for indoor/slipper wear. I am not sure what we'll do once the snow breaks.   For the winter we did Stonz 2 years ago but they walk too much outside and...
We love out Klean Kanteens. DD used the sippy spout (Avent spout) and then the sport top. DS uses the sippy spout. I love that they are easy to clean and leakproof. Our Foogo sippy got gross and mildewy (black inside the lid!). The Safe Sippy leaks.   We also have a plastic Tomee Tippee no leak cup that absolutey doesn't leak  - http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3944043 It has the straw shaped spout but you tip it like a sippy, so I think it's a...