or Connect

Posts by babygirlsmama

My four year old also can't read...and frankly I get a little nervous when she seems to be trying to figure out words or letters, lol.  Seriously...I had a pretty unbalanced childhood because I was an early reader, academically advanced and was basically a bookworm.  Which was very good in some respects, but in hindsight left me pretty unbalanced.  I'm sure, without question, that my daughter will fall in love with reading someday.  She's already on her way there, she is...
I'm about to paint my daughter's room, and was thinking of doing it a color similar to a Waldorf classroom.  I know I've seen teachers doing the painting process, but I don't know what it is called.  Also, any suggestions on paint colors that would be close to that peachy/pink?     Thanks! Babygirlsmama  
I don't know for sure, but the last I looked the Suncoast Waldorf School and the one in Sarasota were the only full fledged schools in Florida.  I'm not sure about initiatives.  I do know that the Suncoast school downsized last year, and dropped it's grades 6-8 program.  In response, I'm fairly sure there is a separate middle school initiative developed by parents.  I don't know the details, but I've heard about it, and I think it is going on (I saw a post about a play...
I have a vague memory of a Waldorf teacher explaining how you make your own wooden stumps for indoor use (or wood toys, etc).    We had some treework done, so I have some pieces that were just cut off our oak tree that have been sitting outside waiting to be made into little blocks or something.  I think it involves baking in the oven at a low temp for a really long time to get all the bugs and moisture out, but I can't recall the details.  Also, how/whether to...
Update:  I just bought India Tree colors (set of three, Red, Yellow and Blue) from Whole Foods.  We will see how they do! 
I completely understand your decision!  It is the same thing I did, as I felt pretty strongly about not using a pacifier.  My daughter was exclusively breastfed, and I basically allowed her to nurse as much as she wanted, pretty much any time she wanted.  And as you know, it wasn't always easy, but it did forge an incredibly solid bond between us that has resulted in a wonderful relationship.  (She's now 3).    Also, as a breastfeeding mom, I can assure you that it...
Does anyone have experience with natural food coloring?  I'm planning my daughter's birthday cake and ideally would like to use a subsitute for artificial food coloring.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  I've seen products online such as India Tree.  They seem to be foodbased, and I would guess safe for child consumption (and free of the health concerns of the artificial dyes), but I know nothing about them.   Ideas?  Tips?   I also could make my own, but...
I'm hoping folks here have some good ideas given Waldorf's emphasis on avoiding screentime.  We, too, have done everything we can to eliminate it from our daughter's life.  Which means no TV, no video games, no access to smart phones,etc.  I actually find it relatively easy to do.   However, we're about to do some travel, and after which may need to be driving about 1.5 hours each way once a week.  We don't regularly do much time in the car, so my nearly 3 year old...
I've noticed the same sort of pattern with my daughter, who will be 3 in October.  For a few days, I let her skip nap and realized it was not a good idea.  She was progressively getting fussier, and clearly need it.   What I've learned is that a few things need to happen in order for sleep to go well on a given day.  First, we have to wake up reasonably early.  For us that's between 6:45 am and 7:30 am.  Then, we have to have good outdoor time with physical...
Oh yes, finger puppets.  I forgot about how much mileage I can get on those!  :)