or Connect

Posts by nurse2be

Thanks for all your input.   I do take cod liver oil during the winter, although I haven't started this winter yet. My mom has made us take cod liver oil every winter from little on up. I don't know what brand it is though.   When I was searching through threads for information, I ran across a lot of recommendations for Carlson's Vit D drops. So I ordered some yesterday, but I'll keep the other brand in mind for the future. I hadn't heard about the need for...
Hi everyone, I just had my Vitamin D levels tested and they came back at 15. I'm really surprised because I spent a lot of time outside this summer, but I also live in the northern US. But I'm also happy because from what I've read, it could explain alot of my muscle aches and fatigue. I mean some days I wake up and everything aches and I'm thinking "I'm only 22, I'm supposed to be in the prime of life and I feel like I'm 80."   I guess my biggest question is about...
I worked in a nursing home for two years and from what I've seen and heard, the only diseases you might have to worry about would be the flu and chickenpox (from shingles). If the flu (or any type of gastrointestinal or respiratory illness) is going around, I believe nursing homes are required to post signs on the door notifying all visitors that there is an outbreak of illness. As for chickenpox, unless your grandma or her roommate has active shingles, the chances of...
Wow. It is amazing what they admit in small print on the packaging. Between the pertusiss brochure about not reducing transmission of the disease and this package insert, I'm becoming rather interested in exactly what other information the vaccine manufacturers know and just aren't required legally to put on the package. Does anyone know if that is on all the other brands of flu vaccine packaging or how I could find it?
  Yeah, when they sent out the notice that all employees and volunteers would have to get a flu vaccine. There was a large hint that anyone claiming an allergy to the vaccine would be required to be tested to confirm it. It is so stupid because in my experience the ones that don't take it tend to be educated about health and know how to strengthen their immune system. As a result, they are the ones who never call in sick and those that got the flu shot are calling in sick...
I understand where you are coming from but for me there is a difference between lying and asking someone else to lie for you. But I get what you mean about it seeming not as dangerous. Also quite a few places (including the hospital I work at) require allergy testing if you claim to be allergic. And if you're caught it can mean your job and in my case probably getting kicked out of school. I'm not too worried about serious side effects because I have had quite a few...
Well, I thought I'd update everyone. I do believe I could have flown under the radar and avoided the flu vaccine for work on the basis that I won't be working this flu season. However, I found out yesterday that the flu vaccine is required at the place where we will be doing our clinical rotation (I'm in nursing school) next semester, so I guess I will have to get the vaccine. I don't really have any options on this one, because I don't think clinical sites are required...
I wouldn't be too worried about it, though I know from experience that it is really hard not to. My younger brother wandered out our lane with the dog when he was two years old. We live back in the woods and you can't see our house from the road. Someone saw him out there by himself and called the cops. Someone who knew my dad heard it on the police scanner and called me because they knew we lived out there and had a little boy. (The joys of living in a small town.) I...
Those with medical exemptions are allowed to wear a mask, but if you don't have a medical exemption you are supposed to get the shot. I'm thinking about requesting Nov. - May off for school reasons which would negate the whole situation. I'm pretty sure they are not going to make an exemption for me. This place isn't exactly the most accomodating. I know I'll probably deal with it at other workplaces, but once I'm finished with school I will have more options of where to...
I've always struggled with painful period cramps. Sometimes they're really bad (like this time, bearable only after 1000mg of tylenol and 400mg of ibuprofen), sometimes almost completely painless (like last month). I ran across an article about uterine lift in relation to painful periods. http://banned-from-baby-showers.blogspot.com/2010/12/uterine-tilt-what-you-need-to-know.html The symptoms sound very similar to mine. My question is has anyone used this technique...