or Connect

Posts by BirthSense

Your unusual pain was absolutely NOT your fault.  As a midwife x 25 years, I've seen what you described, and it's generally due to the baby's postion.  If the baby is posteror (sunny-side up) or if the head is slightly tilted to one side or the other, or if the hand is up by the head, Mom can experience intolerable pain.  Your pain should have been acknowledged and you should have been reassured that it was not your fault.  Your bleeding was abnormal and should have been...
The CNM was legally obligated to come in to see you once you were transferred to the hospital.  A provider cannot refuse to see a patient (unless of course there were extenuating circumstances, such as she was delivering another baby and unable to come).  If a provider refuses to come and transfers your care to another provider without even seeing you, that is called abandonment.  You could take this up with the hospital administration if you want to pursue it.
I think something you mention here is key--that you were told only to listen to positive birth stories.  What we need to remember is that "positive" birth stories aren't always the ones about easy births.  I've had seven babies and none of them were painless.  As much as I'd love to have had an orgasmic birth, it didn't happen for me.  Yet I feel positively about my births.  I think we need to be honest with expectant moms and let them know that the majority of women...
Sounds like the Pang study. I was living in Washington state and working as a midwife when this study was done. They included ALL out of hospital births, planned or not, in their numbers. This included fetal demises/miscarriages after 20 weeks. Obviously, this greatly increased the "neonatal death rate", even though a 21-week demise is not exactly the same as a full term infant who dies during a planned home birth. Had they used the numbers for planned homebirths...
First of all, your OB is not just a knife-happy surgeon. A placenta that is attached to the uterine scar can be a serious, life-threatening situation. However, there are some other possibilities for dealing with this short of a hysterectomy. One of the things you may wish to consider is an MRI closer to time of birth to see exactly where the placenta is and whether it invades the wall of the uterus. Click here to read a study on conservative, non-surgical...