or Connect

Posts by MamaHappy

I'm in my 5th year of using Singapore and I've always used the textbooks and the workbooks.  I usually buy the Home Instructor's Guide as well just to have on hand as a reference, I don't use it everyday.  The HIG is useful for me when I'm not sure how to teach something.  I do most of my teaching from the textbook.    There is a plethera of supplementary materials you can buy....Intensive Practive, Challenging Word Problems, etc.  These aren't necessary IMO unless...
No, there is no way my first grader could read that.  I'm not even sure my oldest could have read that when he was in 1st grade (and I considered him a strong reader).   -Sara
I agree, why is it so annoying to be asked this question?  I think most people ask because they are taking a genuine interest in your child and I find it incredibly rude that some people feel the need to come back with a snarky comment/question.  How hard is it to just simply answer the question?  You could say something like, "Well, my child is unschooled so I really don't consider him/her in a specific grade.  But if he/she were in ps, I suppose he/she would be in...
Yeah, this.  Seriously, are there NO boundaries at all?
It is one thing for a 7 year old to exclude someone, but I am appalled that the mother would allow this behavior. Wow....just wow. I totally feel your pain OP. The whole thing is pretty ridiculous.
You know, with all the problems with schools using "fuzzy math" curricula these days, I'm glad to see schools still realize that teaching basic math facts is important! These are important for kids to know! I guess I have a problem that the tests are timed?? That seems like overkill for a 1st grader to me.
I agree with the pp! Before you do something drastic like send her back to ps, I would just take a break. Read books together, play games, go to plays, nature walks, etc. But I would take a break from the formal stuff for now. She probably needs to just decompress for awhile after kindergarten. Which leads me to my next question.... What are the things that she does like to do? Does she like to cook with you? You could incorporate a lot of math in that. ...
I used the Kindergarten package from MFW and it was just okay. The science topics and activities were a lot of fun and perfect for that age group, but I didn't care for the phonics and math portions of it....the phonics was too repetitive and moved too slowly, IMO. The math was just downright awful...my then 5-year old found it way too babyish, too easy, and boring.
Quote: Originally Posted by brokenheart Okay thank you so much! I guess I really just need to work on my "passive aggressive" behavior. When she is really rude to me, I withdraw from her. I tell her to go watch a movie and I just kind of ignore her for the rest of the night. The reason is that I'm so hurt over how she acted and how mean she is at times. This isn't mature behavior (I know), so I need to work on getting a grip. I should not be thrown...
I don't have a lot of advice either, but I can totally relate as my 5 year old son can be exactly like that....rude, unreasonable, disrespectful, etc. What sometimes helps with him is to give him choices.....example: "would you like to wash your hair yourself or would you like me to do it?" But I do make it clear that either way, the hair is getting washed. Also, I really don't think it's okay for kids to be rude/disrespectful at any time. It's fine to be angry or...