or Connect

Posts by sugarandspice697

I haven't adopted but I do have a child through assisted reproduction. Anyways, I think adoption is a wonderful way to add to your family and you should not be ashamed of wanting a girl. Everyone who adopts has a specific criteria and I'm disappointed in many of the parents on this thread are questioning your motives. I have never met an adoptive parent who said "yes" to every question in the Characteristics of Child section on the agency's application. With that being...
Its because the process it takes to qualify the child for international adoption take several months to complete. If the child was abandon, the local authorities must attempt to find the birth parents in case the child was kidnapped. In many poor countries that lack a lot of the modern technology was have can make it difficult to find the parents who may live several miles away in a rural village.     Second, some children must be on a national registry for several...
  I believe its impossible to solely do what is in the best interest of the child. There are some children who do not care about their origins or open adoption. Although I am very sorry that your daughter is experiencing grief, parents cannot make a blanket statement like "adoptions must be open because adoptees want to know about their birth parents" is what annoys me about the adoption community. Just because your daughter is grieving about her loss, doesn't mean that...
Also, in regards to the openness, you have to decide what is best for you at this point. There are some people (including me) who learn a lot about open adoption and still are not interested in birth parent contact yet... do not let anyone (including the lovely ladies on this board) try to pressure you to accept open adoptions. Open adoption is not always in the best interest of everyone involved in the adoption triad and there are many birth mothers and adoptees who...
Welcome to the  boards!   From what we had experienced, foster to adopt might be the best choice for you (depending on what special needs you are open to). Honestly, if you are not open to contacting/meeting the birth parents, you will find domestic infant adoption to be difficult. We tried to adopt through agencies and attorneys and they told us that we needed to be open to at least exchanging letters and photos to the  birth mother. If you not open to at least...
In my experience, a lot of our LGBT friends do not have children and we do not call/ spend time with them very often because my daughter consumes my life. Anyways, we have tried to find new LGBT parents but we didn't "click" with any of them personally; now, most of our new friends are straight moms with young children.
Well... our situation is a bit different. DP and I are African American and our daughter is Asian (she was born to us via embryo donation). When I am alone, most people assume that I am married to an Asian man because I do not "look" gay. Anyways, I just tell people that my partner is Black and she was conceived using donor embryos.   I personally do not see it as rude when people say that because most of the time, their intentions are good and they are just trying...
Oh, and to answer the OP's question... We chose to do embryo donation instead of traditional adoption.   Our three reasons were very simple to us. The first was we found that is was difficult for "non-traditional" couples to adopt both domestically and internationally unless were were open to special needs. We called and e-mailed several agencies and many refused to work with us because we were a lesbian couple or because we did not attend church regularly. Many...
  This is just my experience but check out this site: http://www.growinggenerations.com/surrogacy-program/intended-parents/financial-information?GGID=b68711a47a495d782d90c88589f6399b That site is from a very popular agency that facilitates surrogacy in the United States. They are located inside of California. Another one is call Circle Surrogacy and they also work inside of the United States. The total cost is about the same but it varies according to their calculator....
Really? In my experience, Surrogacy is actually MUCH higher than adoption inside of the United States if you go through an agency. We looked into surrogacy using my own eggs but we were told it would cost about 100K for everything! There are also no tax breaks and subsidies to help with the cost. However, if you go to a different country like India or Ukraine, it can be cheaper but you won't get any of the tax benefits that adoptive parents get. Also, if you find a...