or Connect

Posts by Alisse

We weaned our LO when he was 20 months.   The way we did it:  Occasionally i wouldn't come home until after bed time so that daddy and ds could learn to go to bed together.  If my son knew i was around there's no way he'd allow daddy to put him to bed or soothe him in any way.     Then i spent a few weekends away from home.  Whenever i wasn't around, our ds took a sippy cup to bed.   Then finally i was there for bedtime one night but refused to give the...
Our ds woke up every 1-2 hours to nurse until we weaned at 20 months.  After that he immediately started sleeping through the night.  We still cosleep most nights.
It's probably a good idea to go see a dentist as it could be an abscessed tooth that's draining.  Baby teeth are bizarre when it comes to pain in that they are often asymptomatic even when there's a big problem.
I think the sugary advice is likely being misinterpreted.   Perhaps the nurse was trying to express that because dehydration, which can occur so much quicker in a child, is so bad, if the child is having difficulty taking anything in, then the sugary stuff is better than nothing.      
You have to get toothpaste WITHOUT fluoride.  Fluoride in large doses is toxic and thankfully most toothpaste brands have an emetic in them that will cause vomiting if enough is ingested. There are tons of brands out there that are fluoride-free.   No fluoride until the child can spit and rinse reliably.   Theoretically fluoride isn't necessary; what is is physically removing plaque and food residue from teeth. We brush our 2 year old's teeth twice a day and floss 1-2...
Have you every thought of a sleep doula?  I have a friend who did and it worked wonders for her LO who is now 1 years old.  She was losing her mind and was at the end of being able to cope; she said it was nice having someone around who could reassure her that her child's crying wasn't hurting her LO.  But yeah, it involved some crying it out, but only for 2-3 nights.   Our LO breastfed every 1-2 hours his entire life until we finally decided to wean at 20 months....
I completely see where you're coming from and i think it's a wonderful thing for mother's to continue breastfeeding for as long as they feel necessary.  However, in our situation it was becoming too difficult. Sleep deprivation, i think i've proven, i can handle, but only to a point.  When it starts to affect your sanity and physical health, as well as others (like my husband) you need to consider other options.  For me, the decision to go through with weaning was...
Starting daycare is most traumatic for the parents and most daycares know this.  Have you first voiced your concerns about having heard that they allowed her to CIO in the crib?  Just let them know that that's not acceptable to you and see how they respond.   My son had a hard time when he started daycare too.  I ended up giving them a couple of carriers so that someone could wear him around, and they were very good about using it.  
We let our LO fall asleep in bed with us then transfer him over when he's deeply asleep.  When he wakes in the morning there are no tears, (we coslept for ~20 months; and the crib is near our bed).  
Formula, more food, white noise, etc etc didn't help my son who woke up every 1-2 hours to nurse, since birth.    He jumped from those frequent wakings to sleeping through the night -- and i mean sleeping 10 hours without waking -- after we fully weaned at 20 months.  And he was more likely to not wake even once once we started putting him in his crib, (we quite cosleeping at 21 months).     My husband speculates that, given how easy everything was, our LO would...