or Connect

Posts by mamacolleen

Definitely! I was just talking about this with DH last night actually. I find it extremely difficult since giving birth to hear about stories involving children in any kind of pain. I get this awful visceral reaction and find it hard to get them out of my head. Like a PP, I'm an RN and work on a trauma unit and I'm not looking forward to going back to work in 3 months and managing my emotions around families in crisis.
Your son sounds just like my 7 month old DD!! She has been like this since birth... needing me or her dad around her all the time and interacting with her all the time as well. I've never been able to just have her sit and play by herself yet, or even just sit on my lap and relax. She doesn't seem to have those "quiet alert and awake" times of day at all. Even when she's in her exersaucer or playing with her toys on the floor, I have to be chatting with her or she gets...
Thanks for the replies. I know other babies who don't nap long either so I know it's not unusual for her, especially at her age. I'm just curious to know if there's anything else I can be doing to help her nap longer. The two big things I've heard are to wear them or lie down with them and neither has ever worked for my DD (except lying down and giving the "dream feed" at a magic time, which honestly doesn't give me much rest at all). So I'm guessing her 40 min naps are...
My DD will only sleep for a max 40 mins. without intervention during the day. She's not a terrible night sleeper (although not great either). She usually goes down between 7-8pm and will sleep until 7-8am, with a minimum of 3-4 times waking up to nurse. Some nights she wakes up a lot more often than that. I've been trying to work on her naps since I know that sleep begets sleep and she also seems to be mostly able to go to 2 naps a day now. She was never a great napper...
I've been reading through many of these posts with lots of interest and are hoping some of you wise women can help me out. I have a 6month old DD who I believe is intolerant to dairy/soy. She has always been EBF (only last week started a few solids, slowly). She was always a fussy and really gassy baby until about the 3/4 month mark. I cut out both at that point and it seemed to help. She also spits up quite a bit (much less when I'm good about the dairy/soy). When she...
I'm at a serious loss as to how I can make my lunches more interesting to me. I am currently BF and am cutting out dairy and soy since my DD seems to react badly to them. I'm also trying to minimize my intake of sugars and carbs since I have a resistant topical fungal infection that I'm trying to get rid of. My DD prefers to be held a lot and doesn't nap well without my help so lunch has to be something I eat with her around (often on my lap) and easy to prepare. I'm...
Hi all. This is my first question here. My 6 month old has never really nursed for comfort like I hear a lot of babies do. She generally only takes the breast if she's hungry and has gotten in the habit of screaming and arching her back if I offer it any other time. We dealt with a very overactive letdown when she was a newborn that she had a hard time managing and would come off screaming a lot. I cut down on my dairy and soy intake when she was about 3 months old and...
We've been thinking about this too since our DD is 6 months and I can see her growing out of the co-sleeper soonish. (although the last 2 weeks she's spent more time in our bed then her co-sleeper given some constant night waking). We're going back and forth between just getting a king bed, putting our mattress on the floor with a twin or crib mattress beside us or possibly putting a crib in our room. I'm not terribly keen on the idea of putting her in a crib in our...
Hi everyone! I stumbled on this site recently and I'm so glad I did. I've read a little of the forums and it's so wonderful to meet others who share similar parenting philosophies! I'm a new mama of a spirited, beautiful and smart 5 month old girl. We tried for a long time to conceive her and now that she is with us, I am so so so happy. Mothering is such hard work, more than I could have imagined, but I'm thrilled that I get to be on such a journey with her! We...