or Connect

Posts by mamacolleen

My take on it is that the little things, done right, probably do count for a fair bit in the short and long term. Especially if combined with medium and big frugal things. However, you really have to factor in what the worth is to you and your family, particularly in relation to time. I do a few of the little things (don't use paper napins/towels, wash and re-use ziploc bags) but for the most part I focus on the medium (meal plan, no cable, infrequent eating out) and big...
OP here. Thanks for all your replies. I like knowing I'm not the only one!   I guess, if I think deeply about it, part of the pressure I feel to keep working full-time is not necessarily related to being the primary income earner but because our joint financial goals for the medium-term kind of depend on a certain level of income at this point. Plus, we are TTC#2 and I need to be working full-time if I want the year mat leave with the full top-up pay, which I do. And...
For a variety of reasons, I'm planning to do a gentle and fairly gradual mother-led weaning of my 2 y.o. DD, staring fairly soon. About 2 months ago we weaned from 5-6 nursings per day to 3 and I'd like to cut out them as well. She actually did quite well with cutting down and I'm hoping it goes as smooth with the weaning.   She currently nurses at wake-up, naptime and bedtime. I'm planning to cut out one at a time. Not sure if I'll do the bedtime or naptime first...
Just wondering how many other mamas out there are the primary breadwinner in their family (whether the other partner SAH's or earns less money, etc).   I make more money than DH, and likely will for all our careers, and I have mixed feelings about it and would like to hear from others.   For one, I'm proud of the hard work I've done to put me at this earning potential, I feel secure knowing that I can support DD on my own if needed (god forbid it won't ever be...
DD will be 2 next month. We have worked a lot on making bedtime mangeable for me over the past few months.   A couple things that I know have worked for us: 1) I still nurse in the bed (it's the last part of our routine) but I put clear limits on nursing at that time. She is allowed 2 sides only, no switching back and forth. Once she's done both sides, that's it, the babas go to sleep and she has to also. Like you, the bedtime nursing used to be my least favourite...
My understanding of wealth is that it describes one's financial assets and not income. So if you own property, a house, have savings of any kind, investments, etc, then you have wealth. In other countries wealth includes livestock and women's jewellery. It's a mechanism to have some degree of protection from financial ruin. Of course, income and wealth are related in that if you have more income, you are generally in a better position to acquire more financial assets but...
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one seriously considering this! We do have family here (well not in the same city as us but still in Canada) but I really think my sister would be best. I think my biggest hesitation is around the upheaval for DD moving countries soon after losing her parents. I mean I know this is highly unlikely to happen but I do want to be prepared.   What would the logistics be? Assuming sister and BIL say yes. Sister comes here for a few months...
Would you/did you choose a legal guardian for your kids in case of parental death who lived in a different country than you?   We are in the process of sorting out our will, etc and I am really torn. My sister and BIL live in Scotland (we are in Canada) and are my first choice by far to be DD's legal guardian. My gut really strongly feels that they would be the best people. The chance of them moving here is little to none. Haven't asked them yet. Not sure what the...
I just tell her what's going on. DD is 2 and is generally right in the bathroom with me when I'm going. She seems interested/vaguely concerned for my well-being when I have my period so I just tell her that I'm fine, that when girls get older they have bleed once a month and it's normal and it will happen to her. Of course I know she doesn't really understand much of that but she will one day and I hope to normalize the whole thing for her. I would do the same with DS at...
DD is almost 23 months and we plan on having a family bed for the long haul. I love it. DD loves it. DH loves it.   For those of you who co-sleep for the long term, I'm wondering a couple things. One, do you have bedrooms set up for your kids and if so, when did you set them up and what's in them? DD doesn't have a bedroom of her own and I'm leaning towards not setting one up for her until she asks for one, but I'm curious to see other's thoughts/experiences with...