or Connect

Posts by mamacolleen

hakeber - I want your job!!! Seriously. That sounds like the definition of my dream job and dream life. I have been plotting since I was young on how to figure out a way to live/work internationally for most of my adult life. I went into nursing thinking that "they need nurses everywhere". Now, I'm "stuck" working at a hospital doing bedside nursing and trying to figure out how to make the leap. I'm nearing the end of my MN and am trying to figure out if nurse education...
I'm trying to get ourselves organized to get life insurance in the next month or two. I know that term life insurance is best, right? Because you really only need it until the kids are grown, right?   So a couple questions for the newbie: How do you figure out how much coverage you need? I'm guessing you factor in how much you still owe on the mortgage plus a portion of the income lost minus the mortgage payment. What happens as you are paying off your mortgage and...
Thanks so much for your reply!   I guess I wasn't clear in my original post but I'm not in the middle of a FET now. We did one in Feb (and I didn't restrict nursing at all during that time) that ended up in an early miscarriage. I'm not interested in totally weaning her just to improve chances of conception. I know logically that her nursing likely has little to no effect on my fertility since I got my first PPAF at 7 months and my prolactin levels are within the...
4-4 We did have lazy shepards pie! Yum. 4-5 veggie omelette with sweet potato fries 4-6 (tonight) lentil soup (from the freezer), grilled cheese sandwiches, green salad   And upcoming:   4-7 some kind of quick chicken dish, roasted veg (brussel sprouts, carrots, parsnips) 4-8 bangers and mash   Although we've been good with dinners in this week, I did buy lunch at work on monday (first time in about 3 weeks which is good, but still :( )  
Hoping some of you wise mama's who've maybe BTDT can help me sort through what I'm feeling with regards to breastfeeding/possibly weaning my 21 month old DD.   So, DD loves her "baba's". We have been nightweaned for a couple months now, thank goodness, and she basically sleeps through every night. During the day when I'm home (I WOH 3 days per week), it's still often her asking for baba's many many times a day. I sort of thought (hoped?) that as she started...
4-2 fish cakes with baked beans 4-3 veggie fajitas   Tonight we're having lazy shepards pie. Yum!
I'm queer as well and have fertility issues. It took us a year and $25,000+ for our DD (conceived finally via IVF and FET). So I really understand where you're coming from. I do think though that I would be really hesitant to ask for such a large sum of money as a gift from family. My family could likely afford to give us money but I know I would feel obligated to them (they wouldn't make me feel that way but I would feel it none the less) and like I should be able to...
Just came to add that if you do it the way I suggested (pay off the 3 small student loans plus whatever is left on the larger student loan and then had an extra 300/month to put on the larger student loan), you should be totally free of all your student loans in about a year and will have an extra almost 500/month to work with. Nice place to be!
If you're comfortable with the amount you have in your emergency fund now and you aren't planning for anything big in the near future (vacation, renovation, etc), then I would wipe out the 3 smaller student loans (7200) and put the remaining on the larger student loan. The $300 you now have extra per month that you aren't paying on the smaller student loans, I would put on the larger student loan (so you're now paying $487) until it's paid off and then put more on the...
We have a loose schedule for DD too that works for us. Up between 6 and 7 (usually closer to 6) breakfast free play out of the house always in the morning (park, drop-in, library, drop-in kindergym, swim class, etc) back by 11:30 at the latest for lunch nap (done by 2pm, sometimes 2:30) depending on the weather, our needs and DD's mood, the afternoon is either hang out at home baking/free play/video or out for errands or out for another outing (usually to...