or Connect

Posts by sarahb918

To be completely honest, it would depend on the kid and the situation. My doula is bringing her baby who will be 22 months old at the time, BUT my doula is also flying in from GA for two weeks to attend my birth and she's still nursing. No way would I ask her to leave her nursing baby behind when she's really going out of her way to be there for me. I also happen to know that her baby is pretty much the most mild mannered, easygoing, well behaved baby ever lol. She's not...
Would any of the Atlanta midwives travel to Columbus? I've heard wonderful things about Brenda Parrish http://www.traditionalbirthservices.com/   I'm not sure if she travels to Columbus, but my friend/doula apprenticed with her for about a year before she moved to Atlanta.  
We don't have a ton of family out here anyway and also won't have many friends around by the time our baby is born (we're military and a lot of people are PCSing this year), but I will be asking for at least a week to recover and for us to bond with our baby before we start inviting home visitors.
Wow, that's completely weird! I'm part of a Meals on Wheels program that delivers food to new parents and I don't even come in unless whoever answers the door invites me in to put the food down. Some people do and others take the food in on their own. I can't imagine just wandering around somebody's house looking into rooms. How strange =/
Hello!   Just wanted to add my experience with Tricare and homebirth.   I got pregnant in March 2009 and had my first appointment at the Naval Health Clinic around 11 weeks. I attempted to obtain a referral to the local homebirth CNM practice and failed miserably (the lady who does referrals gave me a schpeel about how dangerous homebirth is and "what if your baby has a nuchal cord!?!?!?") so I just filled out the paperwork to switch to Tricare...
I voted to use the doula, but I do have a few thoughts.   1. A good doula won't make you feel like you need to give her something to do. A very good friend of mine is a doula and the biggest part of her job is figuring out how to support each individual mom. Some need a lot of hands on labor support (counter pressure, help with breathing techniques, massage, a hand to hold) and others just need her to sit back and be a calming presence or give verbal encouragement....
I have two military wife friends who had planned UCs and one who had a genuine "no time to get to the hospital" UC and as far as I know, none of them had problems getting the baby in for his/her first appointment. The baby is covered under Prime for the first 60 days so it shouldn't be an issue and they really shouldn't need anything from you other than your ID.
  Yup, this was me too. Throughout my entire pregnancy, I was always told, "Just have faith! Trust birth! Your body and your baby know what to do!" Well, I had all of the faith in the world. I just knew that my birth was going to be fantastic and that there wouldn't be any complications. I would push my baby out at home and then cuddle in bed with my new family and everything would be perfect. That's not the way it happened though. I went into labor before my support...
I used them for my second pregnancy/birth and I would not use them again though my reasons are pretty much strictly based on how their practice is set up and not anything against any of the midwives themselves. I'm not really sure what I am and am not allowed to say on here so if anybody is interested in the reasons that I would not go back, feel free to PM me :)
We use a religious exemption and have never been questioned, but we don't do any vaccines. I'm not sure how it works if you selectively vaccinate. I would think that it would still hold because you could always argue that your are morally opposed to the ingredients in certain vaccines, but not others. Honestly, I wish all states would just allow philosophical exemptions =/