or Connect

Posts by MamaE

Homeschoolerhub, your post (this part in particular) brought tears to my eyes.  Thank you for the warm sentiments and the statement of faith in children and mothers everywhere.  I know it applies to all of us who walk this path (and even those who only consider it).  And I echo all of your thoughts.  Amen, sister!   But back to the OP: GracesMama, you can absolutely do it.  You are on the right path, beginning your inquiry and starting to ask the difficult questions....
Oh, mama, I am sorry to hear that.  It sounds like a lot to go through.  Thanks for weighing in.  Having spent years on these boards and being indoctrinated in the all-natural approach, it pains me greatly to give abx at all, esp. when we worked so hard to avoid them, what with extended nursing and a (fairly) healthy diet.  But, I have to remember not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Western medicine is not all bad and this is not a case of overprescribing abx....
Hi all, my 5 yo son just had an extraction due to an abscess in his front tooth.  This was due to root trauma he had as a toddler.  While I am 100% comfortable with our decision to extract vs. do a root canal, I am not at all comfortable with giving him antibiotics.  He has never had them in 5 years of life and I did not want to start now (we started yesterday due to the abscess).   My question is this, do the benefits outweigh the risks here?  The dentist said the...
Thanks ladies.  I am looking at Memoria Press again and I have to say, it does look good and it IS reasonably priced.  At that price, I don't mind subbing out some of the items.   I really want to use some of the Sonlight things because I have a bookworm who will eat them up, I think.  I also want to teach some subjects together and with Sonlight's multi-age material, I can do that with.  I am looking at their Science B for 5-8 year olds.  My dd is 9 but I think I...
Deep breath, Mama.  This too shall pass.  I am just venturing into homeschooling and don't have much to offer beyond that.  Others will have advice I am sure.   May I ask what RU is?  I'm not around much anymore these days - real life has taken over my online life...  but that's good I guess.  
Thanks, I'll check that one out too.  Off to read reviews on A Beka too... 
Thank you ladies.     I will check out Classical Conversations.  Thanks, happeesupermom.  I might be PMg you as well.  We'll see how much I get done over spring break here.   LeafyLady, what grade(s) are you HSg?  I live in IL too - the one thing I am learning about this state is how much freedom we have in homeschooling.  At least there's something good about IL!   And thanks to you other mamas for the Sonlight recommendation.  Actually, just tonight I met...
I am going to begin homeschooling next year (kindergarten and 4th) and I would like to use a packaged curriculum because I am overwhelmed with everything that's out there.  Add to that it's my first year of HS, and I just think I need a package to get me started.   So, are there any besides the one I see at Memoria Press?  I looked at Calvert and really liked it but it's not classical (no Latin).  Any ideas for me mamas?
Anyone?  Or is there another place where curriculums are rated?  Pretty please??
Hi, I had an 8 cm cyst all throughout my first pregnancy and then 3 months postpartum.  They told me it could be cancerous and had to come out.  They ended up taking the entire ovary with it and it was not cancerous.  It is one of my greatest health regrets.  I miss my ovary!   Have you read the book "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom"?  Dr. Christiane Northrup has a wealth of information on dealing with ovarian cysts holistically.  Diet might be a good place to start. ...