or Connect

Posts by MamaE

Aw, you'll be fine. I've had two 9 pounders with minimal tearing and short pushing phases. My 9,1 was 20 minutes of pushing. My 9,3 was 6 minutes. 2 tiny tears with the first, 1 tiny tear with the second. Easy! I'm 5'5" and medium boned, if that helps. If my husband had agreed to it, I would have birthed at home and been just fine. You will too! Good luck.
When my son was born (hospital birth), I was told he weighed 8 lbs. 15 oz. However, at 12 hours past the birth, he weighed 9 lbs, 3.4 oz. on 2 different hospital scales (one of them the same one he was initially weighed on). Clearly, the initial weight was wrong. By 12 hours, he had passed one small (tsp) stool + had a couple of lightly wet diapers. I began nursing right away, but of course he was only getting colostrum. How many oz could he have lost in that...
Wow! How utterly horrifying that so many of us have had this experience. I am so sad for those of you that weren't able to avoid it. I can't get over how lucky it was that I had my eyes open and just happened to focus on the OB at that moment. For much of the pushing phase, my eyes were either closed or I was looking into DH's eyes. What's sticking with me now is the thought of the excruciating pain I would have felt had she cut me. I had no pain meds whatsoever...
I lost my milk very early in my 2nd pregnancy - 5/6 weeks. My DD (then 3.5) weaned herself due to it. It was easy on her b/c she was ready at that age. With her, even 6 months earlier would have been very traumatic for both of us! She loved her nursies. Maybe you could wait a few months till your DS was reliably eating solids? That way you wouldn't have to stress over it so much. Besides, it would give your body a little more time to recover too. Good luck! I...
I know many here choose homebirth and/or midwife, but for a variety of reasons, I had an OB attended hospital birth. This is a warning for mamas who choose hospital births: I came within an inch (literally) of being given an episiotomy I didn't want. The picture is still the most vivid and upsetting one of my birth experience last Friday. As my son was crowning, the OB pulled out her scissors. It was sheer luck that I had my eyes open at that moment and looked down...
I just had a baby Friday and my milk came in on Monday/Tuesday. I never got engorged, just had a feeling of fullness, and now by today, I am soft again and not leaking. This is such a different experience from my dd's birth when I was engorged (rock hard), leaking, and spraying for days. Actually, with her I think I leaked for about 3 mos. Is this normal? Should I worry? Is it just that my body knows what to do this time? (FWIW, my dd quit nursing just 7 months...
I am also finding 4 challenging. The limit testing is really getting to me and I have no idea how to deal with it. Am I supposed to get stricter or more lenient?? Stricter is what my instincts tell me, but DD is stubborn like her daddy (or is it like her mommy?). Interested to see what others say.
Another mom struggling with a 4 yo here. We've got a newborn (5 days old), but DD was acting out before he came. Getting angry or frustrated very easily over what seems like nothing to me, contradicting just about everything I say just b/c she can, getting into things she knows are not for her (scissors, lotions, etc.), making messes and being destructive when she knows it will make me unhappy (spitting food on the floor, drawing on the couch with a red crayon ... the...
Aww, hugs. I think it's probably happened to many of us here at one time or another! It happened to my DD twice. One time, friends of ours were over and heard the thud. How embarrassing! I would go for the bed rails. That's what we did. It was an inexpensive, simple solution and it worked for us. It doesn't protect every inch of the bed, but it covers enough to prevent most falls. (We never had another.) Don't feel bad! You're not alone.
Wow, Treemom2, you do the lying down thing twice? See, I guess that's what I'm afraid of. I don't know if I have that in me! I'm hoping I can work baby into our routine (i.e., both kids lie down with me and fall asleep at the same time). I suppose that's asking too much, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. The past few nights have been better, but things seem to cycle that way around here. We'll have a really bad night or day and then things will be good...