or Connect

Posts by carrieb26

At this point I would take rec's for someone anywhere in mo il, ia who wouldn't freak out about us not vaxing, or call CPS because we've never been to a doctor before, and who is open to complementary/alternative care care.    My son just isn't getting better, even though it doesn't seem to be urgent, I think we need to see someone in the next few weeks to help us out by running some tests and helping us find solutions.   We're willing to travel for the right doc.
I had considered that position, and it's one that I also believe in. I have some Catholic friends who object on similar grounds.  Some don't object to all vaccines, though, since apparently not all are sourced/developed using fetal material?    
Thanks for your feedback!   So, for those of you who object based on the reasoning that God made us as intended and to inject a foreign substance goes against the design of God (my phrasing, may not represent what some of you have expressed) does that carry over into choosing not to use pharmaceuticals or physicians (for my husband and his family, it does).   I am inclined to believe that God created us with an immune system that he designed to work properly, and...
I'm a non-vaxer.  neither of my kids age 2 and 4 have been vaxed.  My objections are philosophical, my husbands family are non-vaxers also (all 11 of them) and claim religious objection, but very, very vague. My state allows for religious objection, not philosophical.   I know that many states do not require an explanation, and I don't think mine does, either, other than to simply state that you object on religious grounds.   I know some people use the religious...
What you've said has given me a lot to think about.   And your last question actually made me laugh! What did she do for me... Not much really.  She came after the birth and helped with a bit of retained membrane - placenta was in the vagina, but the membrane was caught near the cervix from the uterus clamping down. She worked carefully to extract it, and the did a thorough check to make sure all of the placenta and membranes were present.  Did the newborn exam, but I...
bump
She does mostly serve Amish and Mennonite. I hadn't thought about how that would impact things.  I suppose in those communities, there might be a stronger likelyhood of experience and support from the women around.  Maybe they're not used to relying on a midwife to a great deal of care outside of labor/birth, so she doesn't usually do it.    
She wasn't actually at my last birth - was too fast, and she didn't make it, so I can't speak to her abilities while in labor.  Mostly my wondering of "safe" comes from thinking back on things in preparation for this birth.   Things like - few prenatal check ups, no postpartum follow up - comments like "I went to some seminars and read some about breech birth, and have now done a few, so I'm okay with them" - I contacted an out of area mw I'd seen before about...
I've been trying to figure out what I want in a midwife, and I think I just can't find what I'm looking for around here.   In the past, it has been important to me to have a midwife who is a christian. I want a midwife willing to attempt breech and twin births. I want a midwife who does thorough prenatal and postpartum care. I want a "hand-off" midwife unless it is clear that some additional support is needed.   The first mw's - one doesn't live here anymore, and is no...
I think she was able to see so many people because she did so few client visits, outside of the birth itself - not lots of prenatals, and didn't do a homevisit after birth unless you specifically requested it. When I saw her, she had been to more than 300 births, and was primary at more than half. I would guess she's in her early 30's.  she apprenticed under her mom, who had seen somewhere around 1600 births at the time she passed away.   She said she rarely missed a...