or Connect

Posts by southernmama

Terrell, Dr. William Pediatric Medicine 71107 HWY 21 Covington, LA 70433 (985) 893-2580   He is our personal doctor and we did not vaccinate our baby who is now six.  He is flexible with delaying vax and selective vaxing.  Very respectful of natural parenting decisions and supportive of breastfeeding and limited meds in an area where such practitioners are very difficult to find.  
Kids are 9 and 6 and do we don't do sugar at home, but they are allowed sugar at the grandparents/ b-days and the occasional treat of an ice cream or something.  They have never had unlimited access to candy.  I used to dole our the Halloween candy a piece at a time and  then toss the rest.  As they get older and have a pretty good idea of what candy they have it feels wrong to employ this tactic and as if the candy is not "theirs".  At their ages, I'd like to see if...
Seriously considering just letting my kids have free reign over their Halloween candy for the next week- as much and whenever they want. I have always kind of doled it out but I wonder if that maybe sending them the wrong messages about candy consumption- after all, in the end THEY have to learn to regulate their intake of sweets. Plus, being the candy police is no fun. What do you think? How do you handle Halloween candy in your house?
I am also a recovering lawyer.  Worked in New Orleans with a plum job and unlimited potential.  Left that firm to start my own practice right outside NO in my hometown about a year after I got married.  Amazingly- despite the risks (but it was the early 2000's- Dave Matthews- anyone?) I was almost instantly busy and making money.  I enjoyed working for myself and the action packed life and $ it provided.  I fully planned on continuing my practice.... until I had my first...
Good advice- last night I asked DH to clean up dinner and played a game with DS. We had a blast and a good snuggle!  Also, DS let me know  in his own way that he was thankful for me.  He said, Mom- I am thankful for you because how else would we get dinner? LOL   I have a great time with my kids a lot of the time and I am so thankful that DH is such a fun dad and kids LOVE spending time with him. It is easy for him to revert back to childhood and its freedom, which...
Just a vent.  5 year old ds came home with a list of what he was thankful for and I was not on it.  Daddy (who plays wi with me) and Lucy, his sister (who plays school with me) was what he wrote.  The teacher added in her handwriting "and Mom".  This makes me sad, but I get it.  Most of what I do to make his life roll is behind the scenes and a lot of my job is giving direction (you need to put away your legos now and brush your teeth) and doling out consequences (if you...
Same here- frankly dad is nicer and more fun- I have the responsibility and make them do stuff. When he is out of town )like this weekend- life continues pretty much as normal- eat at home, bedtime, practice piano. When I go out of town and they are with him it's dinner out, swimming, movies and good times! I read somewhere that it you are a "good"mama- (generally meet needs, no fierce yelling/abuse etc.) that kids have very little childhood memoryof you- because you...
I think it is hard to find appropriate experiences. DS 4.5 was offered a fairly large movie role as the son- but the movie was about a carjacking!!!! Lots of smoking, some language and kinda scary. We passed. In the end, it comes down to what is best for your kid and what you are comfortable with in terms of exposure.
DS (4) told a man he was sitting next to on a very crowded bus "I can tell that is not your real hair- it is a wig" (Bag)
I have no idea why toys come into the living room- the play room is literally attached with sliding glass doors to the living room and in full view of it!!! It is easily the best room in the house to be in like being outside, but in- so its not like they are stuck upstairs or off in a kids wing.