or Connect

Posts by COgirl19

I am an aspiring doula here (I have a post on here somewhere about that). I will be lurking.
Hi, This is a little long, but after a lot of heart searching I have decided I want to become a doula.   I am actually a PhD scientist right now. All my life I thought that is what I wanted, but now that I am one it just isn't for me. I have actually had a lot of success with it but after birthing two children (one a bad experience with a scheduled induction and the second a beautiful redeeming natural birth) I HATE the PhD lifestyle. It is simply way way too much...
Collard greens are wonderful cooked with ham bone or a little bacon (one or two pieces is plenty).
This is exactly how our DD is. If we let her watch one show that is all she wants to do, all day every day. She gets that glassy eyed look and you can't even talk to her or get her attention otherwise. Then the tantrums start when it is time to move on to something else.  We have noticed a very big positive change in her behavior when we severely limit or eliminate TV. I know this is NOT true for every child but for our DD1 this is the way that works best for our family....
This last sentence sums it up for me!   In our experience, these above suggestions work. DD1 feeds our dog and that boosted her confidence to help mommy and daddy. A lot of times she still whines and argues that she "can't" but with some direct encouragement and instruction (and a bit of stubborness on my part to not help her too much) she figures things out on her own. 3 yo can be a hard age sometimes but you will see a world of difference between 3 and 3.5 IMHO.
My first DD was like this. No words of advice except co-sleeping saved my life with her! And it does get better. Gradually she will sleep for longer stretches. This stage is hard. Have you looked up anything about high-needs babies? That may help. Dr. Sears was incredibly helpful to me during this time.
  This post really resonated with me. I think it is more realistic to think of childhood as a continuum of processes that gradually progresses toward adulthood. You can't put labels on it ESPECIALLY since every child develops so differently. In this way I think tween is such a marketing ploy trying to ensnare mainly 8 and 9 yo girls into the Hannah Montana mentality when many are in no way ready to progress to that level of "tween" with the training bras and provocative...
Poor DD2 had her first real chest cold.The poor thing is miserable. She is such a happy baby usually but this bug has really got her down. Other than suctioning her little nose (which she hates) is there anything else I can do to make her more comfortable? She also has a little diahrea from all the mucus...poor kid. It doesn't help that I am sick too with it.
We are Christians and do NOT do Santa. DD1 is only 3yo and is just starting to get the whole holiday thing but due to our beliefs we feel that Christ and His birth should be the center of our holiday. I also don't like the idea of gifts being dependent on behavior and bribery. DMIL was totally fine with it (it didn't matter if she wasn't anyway) but I think my parents think we are "depriving" our kids. We still do presents, just not Santa so I don't get why they feel...
My DD did this at 18 months and she is perfectly fine. You can see a very slight scar on her forehead but you can't even see it unless you know where to look and she is angled in the right light. Honestly, I might just be seeing things since not even my DH can see it.   FWIW - after she did it she came down with a stomach bug. I was terrified and thought it was related to her bump on the head and rushed her to the ER. They checked her out thoroughly and even did a...