or Connect

Posts by aprilsnow

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and comments! It is very helpful.   My concerns about preschool, in addition to cost, are that she often does not want to go because she misses the time with me. This article in particular made me think more about whether preschool just for the sake of preschool (as opposed to needing the childcare, as we did previously) is really the best option for us at the...
Please help -- I am having a lot of trouble figuring out how to manage (manage is not the right word, but the best I can think of right now) my day with a 6-month old girl and an almost-4-year-old girl. My older daughter has some special needs (SPD) that make things even more challenging, but aside from that, I feel like I'm spending all my time nursing the baby, trying to get the baby to sleep, etc., and my older daughter is, understandably, having a hard time with...
Hi, I have a daughter with SPD who will be 4 years old soon. She is currently in preschool for half days, 5 days/week, while I am home full-time with my baby who is almost 6 months old. I am planning to be a stay-at-home mom for an indefinite amount of time before returning to my career. Previously, my daughter was in preschool full-time while I worked, but I switched her to half-days when I became a (temporary) stay-at-home mom after my second child was born.   Now...
Hi, I have some baby items (and other household items) to donate, and I'd like for them to go to a good cause. Does anyone know of a women's shelter, a charity for single parents, or any other nonprofit organization that could use baby items or other household items? Thanks for any ideas!
Quote: Originally Posted by Maluhia Could she be working on teeth that hurt worse when she lies down? Can your DCP do a "quiet time" rather than nap? Is she dropping her nap as not developmentally needed for her right now? Maluhia, thanks! She does still need a nap... she gets pretty grumpy in the evenings when she hasn't had one, and on the weekends with me Ella takes a nap pretty easily. I don't think she's teething much at the moment, so...
Oh yeah and with hitting, I tell her something like, "we don't hit people... we touch gently" and then show her how. If she's hitting (or doing other inappropriate behaviors) because she's mad, you can verbalize her feelings for her and give her alternatives for expressing her anger safely/appropriately (clapping, stomping, etc.)
I childproof as much as I can so I don't have to say "no" so much. It reduces a lot of stress. You can leave a drawer or cabinet in each room unlocked with safe stuff for her to play with, then just clean it up when she's done (perhaps have her help... my DD often likes to help put things away too). About the screaming... i agree with PP that sign language is AWESOME for when they are nonverbal. My DD went through a phase of screaming even though we signed and even...
My 18 month old daughter will not nap at her daytime babysitter's. With me she has always nursed to sleep, and we have not had luck getting her to fall asleep at her sitter's. The sitter has tried using our naptime routine (minus nursing) but says this makes the child really upset. I tried to transition her at home to sleeping without nursing, but never made any progress. (I was going to try an approach where I start out by nursing her until she is really sleepy and then...
Ours is a king. When we visit relatives and sleep on full sized beds, it feels pretty cramped. Can you get a used mattress from a nicer used furniture store?
Thank you!