or Connect

Posts by seamaiden399

I want to know! I don't really understand the advantage of an extra surprise- you already have the surprise of your new baby's personality and their sweet face.   Personally, I think it isn't a big deal if they later choose to re-identify as a different gender. That would be a change from their sex at birth regardless, KWIM?   The neutral clothes would drive me crazy. I don't like to jump into the whole pink thing, but I do like to dress a boy somewhat like a boy and a...
Daiya cheese is not cheap, but it can be used sparingly to give extra texture and flavor to a dish. One package can be stretched out to last quite a while if you're just sprinkling small amounts of it on top of, say, refried beans. Since the requirements were dairy AND nut free, it is one  of the few "cheesy" options as a special treat. These days even regular dairy cheese isn't cheap!   Sometimes Safeway or Whole Foods have a sale on daiya and this is a good time to...
Not at all impossible. Expensive items tend to be processed foods, which aren't that great anyway.   GF Corn tortillas with refried beans as filling, daiya cheese if you want to be fancy quinoa with daiya cheese and beans mixed in (you can get big bags at Costco for a good price) roasted potato home fries in the oven onigiri white rice balls with tuna fish and mayo in the center (google recipes) spring rolls with shrimp, lettuce, rice noodles, lettuce, mint with a...
I hate the "David" books and Skippyjon Jones books. I ordered both in school mass market paperback when we were going to be overseas for an extended period and I hadn't seen either in person. They are not at all to my taste, and the David books are terribly "bratty". My in-laws have purchased some dull, preachy ones that I also didn't care for such as one about "filling your bucket" and the Lois Ehlert leaf books. *yawn*  But then they also found the enchanting baby...
My tip for when you DO use cloth, can't wash, and travel is use a strong plastic bag (at least gallon size) that seals. I store dirty pee diapers in them. I would rinse a poo diaper in the sink or toilet before sealing it in. After three days or so they do get funky so this is why I don't tend to use cloth for long trips without access to a washer.
Depends on how long the trip will be, and if we will have access to a washing machine. When visiting the in-laws out of state, where I can use their washing machine, I definitely use cloth. I also bring my own laundry detergent packets (Country Save). When traveling for more than a few days, especially internationally, I tend to use disposable. Yuck. Hehe.   Looking forward to using cloth for #2 on the way, now that #1 has been successfully potty...
I can understand your feelings about the present. Actually, my mother who is living with us bought my DD a kids play laptop (semi-educational) because DD was always trying to play with our laptops. My husband and I hate the thing (it is the noisiest, most irritating thing) but DD loves it and pretends she is "working" like Mommy and Daddy. We try to encourage the kind of presents we prefer in our home, and there are things that we would not allow her to have (the jiving...
  I made this costume for my DD 2 year old from cardboard box (base of dress), a shiny silver insulated tote (legs, arms, trimming on dress and helmet), and an ikea lamp box(helmet). We painted it silver with nontoxic paint together and used duct tape to hold it together and shiny silver electrical tape for trim. She loved it! The best part was when we went trick or treating in a downtown neighborhood near our house. She went into the local bookstore and was excited...
I made this costume for my DD 2 year old from cardboard box (base of dress), a shiny silver insulated tote (legs, arms, trimming on dress and helmet), and an ikea lamp box(helmet). We painted it silver with nontoxic paint together and used duct tape to hold it together and shiny silver electrical tape for trim. She loved it! The best part was when we went trick or treating in a downtown neighborhood near our house. She went into the local bookstore and was excited to...
Interesting. The DH had Star Wars on the other day and my 2 year old DD was interested for about 5-10 minutes and then got bored and wandered off. She didn't get scared, but was very interested in the "robots" (Darth Vader, the storm troopers, R2D2, C3PO). Now when she sees Halloween Darth Vader Masks she says "robot! I like robots!" Born to be a geeky tech girl like her parents, I think.   The only television we've tried to watch with her is Cars 2 for her birthday-...