or Connect

Posts by RoamingWidgeteer

Does anyone have experience with the Bily 3-1 Superyard? My google-fu has let me down, and I've only found two negative reviews about different products from the company, although it looks like it might be the same as North States Metal Superyard . Can't even find a company website :-/   We need a sturdy fence around the free standing woodstove, with the fence attached to the wall on two sides. Metal since plastic this close to a stove pumping out heat doesn't seem like...
I've used several brands of TL and FL and have reached the following conclusions: TL destroy clothing. All that sideways shearing action wears it out ~25 - 50 times faster. No, I'm not exaggerating. A single rinse cannot get clothing clean. Two rinses is absolute minimum, more is better. The individual rinses don't have to involve a lot of water. American brands of FL are mere approximations of European made models, and really not worth the effort or money....
Just in case anyone is wondering - the amount of elastic the pattern/kit calls for works just fine, even on chubby legs. I did find, however, that rapidly growing babies, also rapidly grow out of clothing ... and diapers. So I'm off to sew the next size.
I find water on cloth works just fine. No soap, no chemicals, no other ingredients necessary. The cloths go in the wash with the diapers. EC training also helps to keep the cleanup to a minimum too, even if we have plenty of misses. The cloths are cut up flannel sheets (leftovers from a blanket project) and cut up tea towels, both with serged edges. The towels are especially effective - the rougher terry side for the poop, and the soft fuzzy side for tidying up. They...
Quote: Originally Posted by NicaG ... I don't want to impose on other people or ask for help or be socially inappropriate or emotionally needy or whatever. It doesn't have to be an imposition - our neighbours got as much from having honorary grandkids next door as we did from them. They were retired, lived on a small island, had no family on this side of the country, and when Grandpa Jim died, Grandma Eleanore was devastated. I know we made a...
When I was 9 my parents moved with us, very much against the wishes of the rest of the family. My sister and I would write letters to my grandmother, but rarely get a response. Fortunately our next door neighbours, an older childless couple, became our adopted grandparents and were far more loving and caring than the ones who'd cut of contact. They made a huge difference in our lives, and I am very grateful to have been able to pick such great grandparents when we really...
Quote: Originally Posted by mermaidmama No I havent considered fig. I don't really eat much fig. Plant what you'll eat Quote: So how long would a semi dwarf live compared to a dwarf? I dont know how old semi-dwarfs will get, but 40+ years seems like a safe answer.
Here's an online nursery I like for their selection and info: Raintree Nursery. They have different categories for standard, semi, dwarf, columnar & cider. Being in California, have you considered a fig tree?
Yup. Dwarfs like M27 only get 10 years old. And at 3 ft tall, wont have much crop either.
These terms all have to do with what/how the fruit tree is grafted. Picking the right combo is very important because it affects yield, disease resistance, and tree maintenance. I would recommend going to a local nursery and asking what works well in your area. Personally I prefer semi-dwarfs for apples but it really depends on how much space you have. Dont get a full sized one unless you like climbing ladders a lot!