or Connect

Posts by Truvie

I'm 45 min from the hospital and won't have a homebirth for that reason. For me, it's because my best friend's baby, after a problem-free and intervention-free pregnancy and birth, required a heart-lung bypass machine at birth. Freaky. Regardless of how few babies need such interventions in order to live, the trauma they went through won't ever leave me. I'd be thinking, "what if ... ?" I'm a worrywart, too, and that doesn't help.
Congratulations Lisa!! I just got a positive test on Monday too! I have a 2 yo son who *just* nightweaned a couple weeks ago. I've had wacky cycles for the past few months, so I called an ob/gyn office yesterday and requested a blood test. Hopefully I'll find out today if I have normal progesterone levels ... crossing my fingers ... Truvie
We built a chicken coop that cost us about $200; the coop was 6x8x4, constructed of a wood frame and 1/2" wire "walls". Most of the cost was the wood, though we also bought lattice and a fancy doorknob to dress the coop up (I love my chickens). There are lots of coop plans available on the internet to give you ideas too. If your hens are free range during the day, then their nighttime coop doesn't have to be very big -- just super secure. In the past we've also used a...
I live in a rural area in Sonoma County, about a 30-40 minute drive from Healdsburg. We go to Healdsburg occasionally to walk around the plaza, but all I really know about Healdsburg is: lots of restaurants and shops, quite a few tourists, and generally a very pretty place. I live in west Sonoma County, which is very progressive. Very community oriented and friendly. Slings and nursing toddlers everywhere. Organic farms and markets, solar power, vegetable-oil-driven...
Since you mention that you are moving to 33 acres, I'm guessing that you don't live in a rural area currently. I live on a farm in a rural area, so I'll offer my perspective. I know my neighbors and crime is low, so I'm not worried about human predators. My concern is with mountain lions and coyotes, especially when I have older kids out exploring on their own. I want a dog who won't even think of touching the livestock (on our farm or on neighboring properties), who...
We recently nightweaned and, strangely, it was almost a non-event. I tried to nightwean a few weeks earlier and he had begged to nurse and it broke my heart! I had visions of him remembering it years later as his first traumatic memory. So that attempt lasted for five minutes and I thought I'd continue chugging coffee every afternoon for quite a while. I don't know what happened, but a few weeks passed I was suddenly READY to nightwean. My son, who nursed sometimes...
So much roomier than the clothesline we have strung up. But, I live in a really windy area, so I wonder about it taking flight. I suppose we could anchor it in with cement? Big congratulations to you on making this change! Truvie
I'm happy to have found this site; what a great resource! I'm Truvie, and I have a 2 y.o. son. My family lives on a farm in California, north of San Francisco. I don't have too much computer time, but I think I know where I'll spend the time I do have! Truvie