or Connect

Posts by Truvie

We raise and sell meat chickens, so we grow a lot of corn. Organic feed is ridiculously expensive! So now I've lined up two weaner pigs that will be available March 15th, so I just have to get the fencing and shelter in place. I'm excited! I wonder if the pig manure needs to sit six months because many pigs are fed meat products? Does commercial pig feed have meat byproducts in it? I'll have to look into that -- actually have to read by new pig book and figure out...
Yeah, now that you ask, I don't know why I was thinking to subdivide the garden area :-). I guess I was thinking that electric fencing would also provide a second layer of fencing security. The pasture where I want to put the pig(s) is the part of our property closest to a neighbor, and that neighbor operates a small nursery. I can't imagine what a nightmare if my pig got into that! I don't know exactly how big the garden area will be yet. Maybe 160 ft x 160 ft. I...
Wow, I feel so encouraged! Red, by green garden posts, do you mean t-posts or big wooden posts? At a past house, we used hog panels and t-posts to fence a pasture for goats. I was wondering if t-posts are sturdy enough for hogs or if wood posts are necessary? I was thinking of fencing off a large area with the hog panels and then subdividing with electric fencing. However, I've never used electric fencing before and it seems a little intimidating. I'd have to run an...
We want to prepare a new garden area for use next year, so that we have two gardens to switch between. Right now, the area we want to use is just an empty pasture. I've been kind of dreading all the work that will have to go into preparing this garden (baby #4 is due in August). So, here's my question: if we fence off a garden, subdivide it into smaller areas and rotate a couple of pigs through the areas this spring/summer, will the pigs do most of the work? I know...
I have one boy and two girls, so it doesn't appear to be a straight-forward gender thing for me. I'll talk to my midwife about herbal liver support, thanks!
I'm 7 weeks pregnant with baby #4 and am having some terrible morning sickness. With my previous three pregnancies (plus two miscarriages), I'd have maybe a twinge of nausea here and there. Why the difference? Could it be because I developed hypothyroidism after my last baby and am now on medication for that? That might be an off-the-wall idea, I don't know. Anyone else experience this?
And I'm in Estacada, which is kinda by Gresham :-)
Quote: Originally Posted by Tradd And to the PP, if someone is interested in Orthodoxy, a Byzantine Rite Catholic parish is not necessarily the default option. Sorry, I should have put in a disclaimer there! I was raised by a Serbian Orthodox father and Catholic mother, and we participated pretty fully in both churches (that was A LOT of church :-), so I'm coming from a weird perspective.
Oh, I'm sorry for you! How about a Byzantine Rite Catholic church? Not that they are any more common, but you never know. There are other eastern rite Catholic churches, but I can't recall their names.
We have an Advent wreath; the kids love eating to the light of just one candle this week :-). We made a "good deed" paper chain with purple and pink construction paper and wrote a good deed on each one. So far the kids have helped clean up the house and went through their clothes to find stuff to donate. The kids made a manger out of Lincoln Logs and today we're learning about St Francis and the first nativity scene. Here are some of the sites I'm using for...