or Connect

Posts by Truvie

I'd like to do this because the cost of organic feed has been killing us. Right now we have 20-some meat hens that will go in the freezer in a couple weeks, and will be left with just a few layers. Ideally I'd like to grow some feed before next Spring, when we'll do another batch of meat chicks. My question is what to grow. Corn and sunflowers? I need to choose something that the deer won't devour (because it would be hard this year to fence off another large gardening...
I would really appreciate any advice. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a few months ago. My tsh level was initially 31 and, about 6 weeks ago, was 1.something. Last week I discovered that I'm pregnant and had my levels checked -- 3.8. Internet info says that it should be below 2.5 during pregnancy. How important is this? My midwife doesn't handle this, and the local doctor's office that I usually go to will only now refer me to an ob/gyn. The ob/gyn, in turn, knows...
My mom had a thyroid nodule removed recently. Her thyroid wasn't enlarged and her thryoid function was normal, but this nodule kept filling with fluid. It was really big. She'd have it drained every 2-4 months, and she had one or two biopsies over the course of a year. Finally she had half her thyroid removed because it evidently would keep refilling forever (sometimes they never come back after being drained). Her thyroid function is still normal. From what I recall,...
One possibility is that there is something off with your thyroid. My symptoms of hypothyroidism were finger joint pain and leg cramps.
My son complained occasionally of mouth pain at around the same age. He'd point to the roof of his mouth. He had two small cavities that the dentist said couldn't be causing the pain, but after we had them fixed (and they *were* tiny -- they just drilled out a little without painkillers and didn't use any filler), he never complained of the pain again. So, in my experience, it could be the cavities. Hope you can figure it out without too much trouble!
We had a Great Pyrenees on 20 acres with sheep and goats. He was wonderful with our kids and a really great guardian -- and he loved his job. We adopted him through a Great Pyr rescue group, since we didn't want to start with a puppy. The rescue group would certify certain dogs as family farm dogs, which meant they had been tested with various kinds of livestock. The rescue group also was very helpful in making sure our fencing was adequete (20 acres is a drop in the...
I haven't heard of this law, and I had two babies in hospitals in Northern California. My midwife routinely checked out clients six hours after birth, and none of the hospital staff seemed to think it odd when I checked out. Maybe it's a policy in certain hospital chains (like Kaiser)?
I had to have an MRI when my dd was 6 months old. It wasn't something that I had time to prepare for and when I went in they told me not to nurse for 2-3 days (can't remember exactly anymore!). My lactation consultant researched it for me and concluded that nursing probably didn't need to be interrupted at all. In the end, I didn't nurse for 24 hours (mostly because it took time to contact my LC and have her research it). I wish I could remember details about what the...
It's also really good mixed with pesto!
My 20 month old likes tiny things and playing with water. We fill up our play kitchen sink with soapy water and give her a scrub brush and a bar of soap; it requires some cleanup afterwards, but it keeps her busy for a good while. She also enjoys pouring water with a little teapot and teacup. We also have a couple trays that I fill with marbles/beans/rice and she has tiny scoopers and little wooden bowls that she plays with.