or Connect

Posts by Toposlonoshlep

Hi!   All the mattresses we have in our house are from Ikea, and most are foam...polyurethane foam of course. Yuck, but what can ya do? I cannot afford to do a natural or organic mattress makeover. I have my bed wrapped and the baby's co-sleeper mattress wrapped, but my son's is still unwrapped. I know Ikea doesn't use the brominated crap, but what are phosphor organic flame retardants? Do they offgass? Are they dangerous? Carcinogenic/mutagenic?   Need a...
I don't know...Seems like it might according to research. I just HATE what's in it and was hoping to not give it until his preteen years.... Now I'm just questioning my choice...
She didn't say and I didn't think of it in the moment, but because of her lifestyle and her kids' lack of medical care, I don't think she would know if he was a carrier...
Hello all! Tonight is the first time I have seriously considered whether I should vax my kids for Hep B... I had a friend over and she has three fantastic boisterous kids, all the picture of health and homeschooled/Jewish private schooled. She had recently moved back from a communal-type situation in Israel. Anyway, our kids were running wild and wrestling as we were having our tea. As they were leaving I noticed dried blood under one of her boys' noses. I asked him if...
Thank you blackbird! It's good that you were choppy, as you essentially gave me a list of what to focus on, which really helps me concentrate on what's most important. I super appreciate it! I'll be calling the board of health on Monday. I'm originally from NYC, where the city took any kind of lead extremely seriously. Now I am in Cleveland Heights (Ohio), where I am finding landlords do not follow the law or care. And almost every place I have looked at has had a...
Thank you so much, Darren! Exactly the path I was going to take. Luckily, the windows are all new, so I don't anticipate any friction there. The windowsills I will be covering with Child Guard. It is said to be low in VOCs and contains that bitterex stuff in case one of my kids does decide to mouth a windowsill.....I am going to check all the doors and all the cupboards. Funny you should mention baby wipes. They've been my go-to-in-a-pinch clean up device for years....
I think it's incredibly ignorant to say that I didn't have information or didn't do my homework. It's also ignorant to suggest I am endangering my children by living in an old house. The paint in the house is in great shape and I am very educated about the dangers of lead. I know how to google. And I can google much more informative articles than your business site can provide. I was asking for practical advice from the community. One post doesn't qualify you as part of...
Wow. Amazing that Mothering can now be used as a Craigslist-style advertising site... These lead inspectors/contractors are using it to advertise their services... Very sad.
Thanks for your suggestion! I will give them a call and see if they offer any services. I am well aware that there will be lead paint underneath the new paint, but am under the impression that that's ok as long as it is not peeling or chipping and generating dust...Is that correct? If so, I would rather avoid any kind of renovation work and just make sure the paint stays intact.    My landlord has agreed to pay for this...
Also, Darren, what is best to clean with around the house to keep dust off the floors? I heard Simple Green will pick up lead. Is that true?