or Connect

Posts by Toposlonoshlep

I plan to test all dust/paint surfaces within the childrens' reach. Because of our financial situation, moving and breaking the lease isn't an option. Neither is a professional assessment. I have looked into this before and it is just too expensive. The neighborhood we live in is all pre-war houses. I have been using the 3M LeadCheck swabs. We swabbed the windowsill after we signed the lease. The landlord is willing to pay for the encapsulating paint. I guess I was just...
We signed a lease on a beautiful old house yesterday. It has all been repainted inside and out and the paint is in good shape. However, when I swabbed the windowsill where there was a tiny chipped off spot, it turned bright red. So I know that there is lead underneath all that new paint. We haven't moved in yet, so I haven't had a chance to swab anything else, but I know the doors are old and so are the cupboards. On the windowsills I was going to use Child Guard...
We signed a lease on a beautiful old house yesterday. It has all been repainted inside and out and the paint is in good shape. However, when I swabbed the windowsill where there was a tiny chipped off spot, it turned bright red. So I know that there is lead underneath all that new paint. We haven't moved in yet, so I haven't had a chance to swab anything else, but I know the doors are old and so are the cupboards. On the windowsills I was going to use Child Guard...
Oh man..... That's my worst nightmare. Yes, the pesticides in a bug bomb are gaseous, and yes, they permeate all fabric and settle on hard surfaces. Wash all floors and surfaces thoroughly, steam clean your carpet to death (I HATE carpet. It's a death trap.) I know it's too little too late, but the landlord cannot legally go into your place without enough notice and bug bomb if you don't want him to. He should have had you remove your furniture and bag all of your clothes....
I have a major fear of pesticides and offgassing chemicals and therefore avoid carpet at all costs. However, we just found a perfect little country home to rent and I don't want to pass it up just because one room is carpeted. The carpet is old, with some stains, and the landlord said he would thoroughly steam clean it for me with just water and vinegar. I am concerned about pesticides however, as I have no idea if any were used in the house. I know roundup was used in...
I should also mention that although it was oil-based polyurethane it said "350 VOC compliant" on the label. What does that mean? Good or bad?
Hmmmm... So now it gets a bit more hairy...They offered us the house and along with other questions I did ask about the varnish. It's VOC compliant oil based.... I have read that oil based finishes can offgas for YEARS...If I ask them to bake it by closing all the windows then airing it out, do you think it will be safe for my kids?
Thank you for all of these! I just saw all the other responses. I actually asked the neighbor in passing what he was spraying in passing after I posted and he said Weed B Gon (So, yes, 2,4-D along with other crap that isn't even EPA controlled...). The volatilizing part is scary, as we were sitting a yard away while he was spraying. I hope no one breathed it in. But we all felt fine, so I'm guessing we're safe with the acute. My three year old was playing on the lawn...
I fell in love today.......with a house. It's this amazing duplex with a sun room and an organic garden and beautiful everything in our price range and they want us to move in July 1st. The only problem is that they just refinished the floors and it was pretty darn fumey in there today when we walked through. I didn't think to ask whether it was water or oil based finish though. I have a three year old who plays mostly on the floor and a 2 month old who will be crawling...
As a long time NYC apartment dweller, I can tell you that nothing works besides insane amounts of Borax and that brown gel the pest guy applies to hinges and edges of things. They carry the gel to their nests and then you find dead roaches everywhere for about a week. Then you can breathe a sigh of relief. It's still pesticides, but it is not sprayed, and we just blocked off the kitchen from our then toddler. The gel dries fairly quickly, so it isnt messy and it doesn't...