or Connect

Posts by Toposlonoshlep

I need to rent a place for the duration of my pregnancy for myself and my 2 year old son. I need to be close to my family right now while DP stays and works back home. We found the perfect little garden place, good price, great location, great yard. I thought I could smell a faint moth ball smell and finally found them under the couch in a plastic bag. The odor (the toxic fumes) are hard to get rid of. I am currently trying the coffee grounds, ionizer, baking soda, etc....
No, that's what that means. I send holiday cards every year too. I never really thought to even use photo cards. I certainly appreciate when I get them though. We hand-make ours and write a poem for each friend.      
This, for me, is kind of the crux of the choices and decisions I've made. Until my kid can tell me that he wants his picture shared, I don't feel empowered to use his image to make myself feel good. I also believe that images of people hold their spirit, or their essence in some way, and I have known WAY too many people that do not wish everyone well, judge harshly, and are nosy and ill-meaning. It's a very personal decision in the end. Possibly even a spiritual one.    
I'm not entering a techy battle here (I am myself a web designer and programmer, so I am well aware of options), but in my opinion, a server like GoDaddy is no more "private" or "secure" than any other remote server. Same with WordPress. Anytime you pay for hosting and invite people to view your content, you are putting up private information in a place where you will not be able to control how it is viewed or shared. A friend of mine, for example, had her own hosting...
But you (and I) have the advantage of technological skills. A lot of people who use the internet to share pictures of their kids don't have that knowledge. Or their own server. A lot of people also use shared computers, for example, at work. I know when I send photographs through e-mail, a lot of my friends and family open them at work. And a lot of them have had their e-mail hacked or fell for password-fishing sites. If you're giving anyone access to your server, unless...
Yes, technologically those precautions can be taken. But with that said, even if you disable the right click feature, one can still take a screenshot. Once they're there, they're there. And, the "terms of service" in regards to privacy and sharing keep changing almost weekly. Just look at Facebook, which is what most people use.   
DS and my pregnant self are temporarily renting a nice little garden apartment. It's a long story, but because it's temporary (like a couple months) it is fully furnished and we have very little say in what it looks like or what's in it. I noticed kind of an "old people" smell in a corner of the living room today. I thought it must be the couch since it is the only thing in the room that could get musty. And then I remembered that many people put mothballs in pianos....
Hmmm. In the Bronx we have apartment radiators which are...I THOUGHT water....But they do release steam from a little thing on the side every once in a while. I suppose that makes them steam? At any rate, they get HOT. My son has touched them when he was younger and didn't get burned, but I can't keep my finger on one for more that a second when it's on. We didn't have covers either, however, but DS always took our warnings about burning himself very seriously. So he...
Is it not a big deal? Maybe it's not PVC vinyl? It seems like the only ones I can pick up at the store and not have to order and wait for online...
I was looking to see where I can pick up a waterproof mattress encasement for a bed my DS and my pregnant self will share for the next 9 months or so, and found this:  http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=109102&RN=561&   But it is made out of vinyl. Woudn't that offgas more than the mattress defeating my purpose?