or Connect

Posts by Toposlonoshlep

Wait, so you have eliminated cow's milk (I assume since it's a TED) but you give your baby goat's milk? Does she have a reaction to the goat milk? If not, you can probably try adding dairy back in, as babies who have a cow milk protein allergy are also allergic to the protein in goats milk 99% of the time.   I wanted to encourage you to pump for a while if you try to do the formula. Formula may not be as simple of a solution as you think. My DS NEVER took a bottle or...
Well, I'm sorry, but "not giving words power" in this case would be a lot like turning a blind eye (yours and your children's) to historical significance of language. If someone called my son "half-caste" in any context, I would probably lose it. It would be as bad as calling my son the n-word. I find that in my experience, people who "don't give these words power" are usually white advantaged people who don't want to leave their comfort zone. The contradiction is that...
I say "I am Russian and his daddy is African". I don't like "half" or "part" either. I tend to never explain or justify his physical appearance or his skin color, but instead focus on the cultural merge. I never say "I am white and his father is black". 
Hi mamas,   I am trying to figure out what my body is telling me and I just can't. It's really disappointing. I am 12 weeks now, and I am having a weird "empty", hungry to the point of nausea feeling. It isn't morning sickness, I got over that, but it's a weird acidic feeling that only gets worse when I eat to try to quell this hunger. I am still nursing my 2.5 year old and I feel this feeling of almost desperate hunger while he is nursing. It's like there is a pit...
I'm sorry ahead of time because I am going to get flack for verbalizing this, but I really feel that the whole car seat thing has become some weird focal point of the 21st century mommy wars. The whole "family safety" section is absolutely covered in discussions of car seats. To say that one needs to purchase more car seats or replace them after checking them is RIDICULOUS. When I was little, we crawled all over the van floor and slept laying down in the backseat on car...
Haven't read all the responses yet, but she DID say that her kids have their own seats. That's not the issue with taking them onboard. The issue is that the seat has to be certified for an airplane, and even then it is at the airline's (actually, the flight attendant's) discretion whether they'll let you install it or not. My friend had purchased a car seat that was MADE for airplane travel (it also had a handle and foldout wheels to stroll around the airport (genius!))...
Cillian makes me think less of killing, but definitely of the beer....   I love Ciaran! It isnt at all "girly", not that I believe in that anyway. I think it's perfect. Be prepared for 99% of people to mispronounce it though. Most people will pronounce it "See-ah-ran" With that said, my son's name is mispronounced 99.99% of the time and I still love it tons and think it's perfect for him. If it has cultural significance and beauty to you, it will also have that for...
Not entirely accurate. Sanofi Pasteur makes Fluzone, a preservative (and therefore thimerosal) free vaccine. My OB's office as well as my ped's office only carry mercury-free flu shots for kids and pregnant women. In fact, mercury in flu shots has been outlawed in a handful of states (I know New York and Cali for sure) since 2006. With that said, I have never gotten a flu shot, have had the flu while pregnant, supported my immune system, and I'm still here.     
I know what you mean about what a pain in the @$$ it is. I pray DS never spills anything stinky on his Cosco one I linked above. That thing is just NOT cleanable. Do you know of any family friends or people you know that would hand one down to you? Because of how much the convertible ones cost, I am quite comfortable "adopting" a seat from friends, because I know it has never been in an accident and I can check for any recalls. A lot of the slightly older ones have...
  X-posted in Family Safety.   I am looking for something for my next babe. I don't want to get the big plasticey PBDE-sprayed mechanized Fisher-Price type swing, so a hammock would be a good option. I know the Amby recall kind of scared people. It actually scared me too. I think the Amby is too soft on the sides and is solid fabric (as opposed to the hammocks that have netting), so if the baby should happen to slide over and have their face to the side, they...