or Connect

Posts by primjillie

I can't imagine living with a smoker. My parents were heavy smokers and I can't believe I lived with it for 18 years. The minute I turned 18, I was out of there and still can't stand the smell of smoke. I would never date, much less marry a smoker, so maybe I am a lot less tolerant than some of the other posters. I have grown children and can't imagine them disrespecting me in this way. I would have no problem suggesting they move out if they wouldn't stop smoking in...
As someone who has spent almost $3000 on my two dogs the last six months, I would say no ~ don't get a dog unless you are prepared to pay for vet bills if necessary. We were lucky for years to have only maintenance bills - vaccines, check ups, neutering and grooming. Then, wham! Older dog got oral melanoma and younger dog has a rare jaw muscle disease. We had the older dog put to sleep in October, but I think the younger dog is going to be okay. We are so attached...
Lotus.Blossome ~ your house sounds awesome. I am love with "old" stuff. My kitchen is primitive ~ old jars, yellowware bowls, wooden kitchen utensils, old food crates. My favorite color is blue, so most of my house revolves around that color. Cupboards are oak with white tile and black appliances. I would like hardwood floors, but they are just white for now.
We have our Christmas traditions/favorites and my grown kids keep adding to it! This year it is scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, yogurt with granola and berries, banana bread, pumpkin bread, monkey bread, sausage, mimosas, juice and hot chocolate. I have a feeling we will be eating all day! I'd like to pare it down and I love the idea of hot spiced fruit someone mentioned. Does anyone have a recipe for this?
We had the neighbor's tree fall into our yard and on the house, and they were not responsible. Luckily, my insurance paid for it, but both insurance companies reported that the neighbor wasn't responsible since it fell in my yard. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but that is what happened. I would try to talk to them about trimming the dangerous branches or do it myself.
My father was alcoholic, but didn't get abusive until I was a young adult. He was verbally abusive to all of us and physically abusive to my mother. Luckily, he wasn't very strong so he never hurt her. But the emotional damage was intense to all of us. My mother wouldn't divorce him since she was afraid he would throw away his half of their assets and that she wouldn't inherit if he died. He passed away 17 years ago and I have to say that while I miss the father he...
We always do turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans of some sort, rolls, cranberries, salad, dressing, pumpkin pie, apple pie, pumpkin cheesecake and some type of appetizers. There may be other dishes, but they vary year to year and lots of alcohol. lol All your menus sound scrumptious!
I have had my grandchildren on sleepovers since they were babies. I've even had them for a weekend while their parents went away for their anniversary. I live about 5 minutes from them and they adore staying at my house. It is a lot of work and energy, so maybe it was too much for your parents. I am one of the minority that thinks parents need some time alone away from their children on a regular basis and IF the grandparents are willing, able and safe, it is a win-win...
My children all had cp when they were little, and I'm glad. But I would be ticked off if someone gave it them knowingly without letting me know. I was a sahm, so I could deal with it. But if I had to take a month off work (which is how long we stayed home with 3 kids getting it), it would have been devasting financially and career wise. I agree with the rest of the posters, if my kids are sick, they stay home - period. For their sake and everyone else's. I thought...
I love Halloween and even dressed up for work and won the contest! I had a lot of kids, all ages and all types of costumes. A lot of dark, creepy ones, but a lot of cute ones too. What surprised me was two groups of middle age kids - I let the kids pick their candy while I hold the bowl, since I had several types of candy in the bowl. Usually they pick one or two and said thank you. These two groups put both hands in the bowl and about emptied it each time. I tried...