or Connect

Posts by Magistra

Quinsmommy- Did you use a doctor to do the insemination?  In many states, using a doctor as an intermediary removes the donor's parental rights or, at the very least, would allow him to be declared "legally unknown" for court purposes.   Valzqueen- Ditto to what others have said about going ahead with second-parent adoption.  This is what we've been counseled to do, despite having both of us on the birth certificate.  We're not legally married in our state, but...
I'm in the middle of a PhD program (in Classics, not that far off from History) right now and worked on my teacher's license while on maternity leave.  Truthfully, the teacher certification is much more likely to help me earn a living.  Extra education will add a little to my salary, but each step doesn't add all that much.  Going from MA +45 hours to PhD will result in approximately $0.50 more per pay period.   Regardless of whether you pursue another degree or not,...
 I looked into it, and the Kroger brand is made by the same company as Earth's Best, so they have wheat filler too.  That would definitely be the way to go, however, for anybody who doesn't need to avoid wheat.
 We've decided to order 7th Generation from Amazon--it's possible to get 30% off by subscribing.  Earth's Best are cheaper, but they use wheat in the filler, and we're gluten sensistive.  We'll see what the costs us per month and then decide if we want to make any changes.  If we used all-in-one CDs, I might try to work something out with the daycare, but we have prefolds from our first son as AIOs were just too expensive for us then.  Of course, I'm going to need to get...
We've mostly had out 10-month-old in cloth (prefolds with various covers), although we keep some disposables around for travel and such.  He'll be starting at a daycare in the new year.  They will use any disposables we supply, but not cloth.   When our first son started in daycare at 18 months, we tried to continue using cloth when he was home, but that didn't last too long.  So I'm trying to figure out a few things for this go around.   1) Is it feasible to do...
Thanks. I haven't been good about using cream, mostly because I think I got rid of all my breast pads once my supply evened out. I should see if I can dig a couple up or go ahead and spring for disposables. We do think he's got a couple more teeth coming in now and his latch just seems off. I'm hoping he figures that out soon.
My almost 9-month-old has 6 teeth, 4 on top and 2 on bottom. We seem to have gotten over the purposeful biting phase, but he's always getting me with his teeth. Sometimes it feels like a pinch, sometimes he scrapes my nipples when he pulls off (as he often does, which takes away the option of taking him off). It's worse at night when he's tired, and I wake up with both nipples red and sore. (He's also a bad sleeper, always has been, waking every 40-120 minutes all...
My almost 9-month-old has been on Zantac for a week now. He took the full dose a few times but has since been fighting it and not getting all of it. His trick is to not swallow and then spit it out (not "up," but purposely out; he had already taught himself to spit). The first night he took it, he slept 3 and 4 hour blocks, longer than he's ever slept before. When he gets a good amount, he'll take a two-hour nap. When he doesn't get much, he'll be upset all day and...
We have a natural latex mattress, and I generally really like it. However... I've been in a lot of pain recently because of co-sleeping and nursing on my side. I end up on one side, in one position, for so much of the night, and it's not quite right for my body. I usually need to change positions a couple times at night, so this is also a problem. My baby's been waking up so much that I spend at least 75% in that one, bad position. Now that we're treating reflux and...
I'm doing grad school with a kid on the spectrum (high-functioning Asperger's). We didn't know when I started--he was 2 and we knew he was a little different, but hadn't begun the journey yet. I ended up taking some leave at one point already and am on maternity leave now for his little brother. It's not easy and, if I'm honest, I probably wouldn't have gone back to school if we'd known about the Asperger's ahead of time. For the sake of a reference point, I'm in the...