or Connect

Posts by jdg

While CNMs are legally permitted to do homebirths, most choose not to do so. In the entire southern half of the state there is only one CNM willing to assist a woman who chooses homebirth. This means that it is technically legal, but the lack of licensure for CPMs makes it nearly impossible to access legal homebirth midwifery.
Tonight, the Indiana House passed HB1135, a bill that would allow the licensure and regulation of homebirth CPMs. As of now, Indiana is an "illegal" state. Midwives here have been fighting for a licensure bill for YEARS and there is much celebration tonight! Next step is for the bill to go to the Indiana Senate. If it passes there, Indiana will finally have legal homebirth!!
Tonight, the Indiana House passed HB1135, a bill that would allow the licensure and regulation of homebirth CPMs. As of now, Indiana is an "illegal" state. Midwives here have been fighting for a licensure bill for YEARS and there is much celebration tonight! Next step is for the bill to go to the Indiana Senate. If it passes there, Indiana will finally have legal homebirth!!
I posted earlier in the thread loving these. Still love and highly recommend them to everyone! DD has been out of diapers for a while now, but we used these up until the end. They fit her great throughout, they were super-cute, and the hook and loop was still in very good condition when we were done with them. And their resale value held wonderfully so I got about half their original cost back when I sold them!
I also recommend the Play at Home Moms blog - http://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/   And if you decide that you want a curriculum, I pick and choose activities from this Letter of the Week program: http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/letter-of-the-week   This site has lots of fine motor skills and other topics that are appropriate for young children and aren't "teach-y": http://prekinders.com/fine-motor-skills/   And google "sensory bins" or look it up...
In the original post, there was a question about possible curriculum. I'd suggest you look into RightStart Math. It's very teacher/parent intensive, but that's because it basically requires no reading and is all done interactively. And most of it is done like a series of small instructions with games to reinforce the concepts. It's a very child-friendly curriculum, with lots of hands-on manipulatives.
My 24 mo DD loves nonfiction books written at a K-2 level. There's usually lots of pictures and interesting facts. She especially loves ones about animals, but you could go any direction that is catching your DC's attention. If you haven't already, really engage with a librarian in your children's room. They can take your child's interests and really help you expand on them!   Look at toys that your child can use for years, just at different levels. In addition to...
By "insurance through the state" I assume you mean Medicaid? They will not cover homebirth at all in Indiana. I do suggest you contact Bloomington Area Birth Services, and take their childbirth classes as they spend much more time on comfort/relaxation/non-medical techniques than any hospital classes I know of.
This links up to another site, but gives a pretty good explanation of the 3-day "system": http://www.babycenter.com/0_potty-training-in-three-days-or-less_10310078.bc   We modified in our house to start including underwear, doing this as essentially two weekends - the first weekend got her to use the potty with nothing on. And then we had a laid-back week spent mostly at home and mostly naked. The second weekend we essentially repeated the steps of the first weekend...
DD has always had difficulty with falling to sleep, even as an infant. She is nearly 22 months old now. Our nighttime routine is that she sleeps in our bed, and either DH or I read her three books in bed, and then cuddle her until she falls asleep, which usually takes about 30 minutes. This is fine and I'm not looking to change it. However, at naptime she sleeps in her own bed (a twin mattress directly on the floor in her own room) and we follow a similar routine -...