or Connect

Posts by lamamaloca

"There was even this one I could give a link to, where a mom has a vaginal twin birth at a hospital and ends up with galloping gangrene. Not an infection you will ever see at a home birth. At least, there isn't a case of it in the news or birth statistics yet." Not true. There was at least one home birth that resulted in a massive, systemic infection that left the woman a quadruple amputee. http://www.12newsnow.com/story/18373018/mother-of-t
I had two hospital births, then two out of hospital births, than the last was a hospital birth again. I actually ended up with a very needed cesarean for the last one, but I'd planned to go back to the hospital from the beginning of the pregnancy. Since I've known women who have lost babies over the years, I honestly just feel a lot more comfortable in the hospital. I feel that I am in the safest place, if something goes wrong, and thus I feel safer mentally, too. Also,...
I think the issue is that Mothering has not repudiated disseminating these dangerous views. This is a life or death issue, the correct stance of a parenting magazine shouldn't be controversial.
Congrats! I know it can be tough when your birth plans go out the window. My little guy was born on July 18 by cesarean, which I had not expected after 4 natural births. However, he had stopped moving and we went to the hospital to get him checked on. Luckily he was alive, but still did not move and was showing obvious distress by his heart rate pattern (late decels in response to B/H contractions, no variability, no accelerations). We felt that an emergent cesarean was...
      Fetal heart rate monitoring is basically the only way we can know whether or not baby is tolerating labor. Certain patterns -- lack of reactivity and variability, certain patterns of decelerations, abnormally high or low heart beat, -- can indicate that the baby isn't tolerating labor well, indicate potential infection, help catch placental abruption, and identify cord compression. What can be done? If the heart rate is concerning different positions may be tried,...
I agree. I also am concerned about the assumption of safety with regards to herbal remedies. There is little information on safety or efficacy of many herbs, and sometimes there is some information that should lead to extreme caution, as in the case of blue cohosh. Not knowing the risks and benefits doesn't mean that there aren't any.
Congratulations!
For a midwife, (I've had two OOH births, one with CNMs and one with a CPM) I'd want to ask such questions as   When do you recommend an ultrasound? Or -- What do you see as the pros and cons of ultrasound? (Personally, I think the evidence supports early ultrasound dating and I prefer an anatomy scan) What blood tests do you do or recommend? Why?  When do you transfer care to a doctor? Share care with a doctor? What methods do you suggest to start labor or...
In response to your other questions, most are good. With doulas, though, some care providers may have had poor experiences with the local doulas, who may have overstepped their roles as labor support. I would want to ask their reasons for their views on this one. On the EFM issue, the data is more mixed than is sometimes portrayed, so I'd want someone who takes the time to communicate the nuances of the literature, as is encouraged in the Cochrane review on the topic. On...
Some of the studies do look specifically at nulliparous women. The link between induction and cesarean is actually more controversial than one might think, and again, there is a good amount of evidence showing no increased risk of c/s, or even a decreased risk of cesarean, with routine induction at 41 weeks.   Here's an interesting study: http://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378(08)01021-1/abstract