or Connect

Posts by LeighPF

I rarely sell things for a couple of reasons, but mostly it is not worth the work for the money I will make. What I do sell, I do on the local Moms listserve where they will come and pick it up. More often I give it away, since that is what this group does and I have gotten my share of things that way. The other big considerations is taxes. If you donate to a registered charity you get the tax wright off of the item's value, with almost no work, and lots of warm...
I keep enough clothes in the drawers etc. to last us ten days. I do laundry once a week so that lets us have some variation week to week and give me some grace time to everything goes up in the air. We recently traveled for a month with 5 days of clothes and I really got tired of those shirts. For me at home with an infant that is 10 shirts, some with tanks under, 2 pairs of jeans, 4 sweaters, and a few pairs of nicer pants/skirts/sweaters/button downs for dressing up....
Start by getting rid of the things you will not move. (Aka your sister's stuff). I like to ask myself if it would be worth carrying (like in your hands) to the new place. If you would miss it if it got packed now, it should move with you. My Grandparents actually put one of my uncles stuff out on the lawn to get him to finally claim it. I found packing to be far less work then sorting, so do that now. Pack the out of season things. Pack the more sit around things...
I use Carebags (they are Canadian), stretchy mesh bags that are wonderful. The clerks just open them up if they are not sure what is inside, but they are pretty see through.
I would pin something thick over the windows and around the top bar of the blinds (the really thick part where all the cords are). And make sure the cords are baby safe.
Most of my friends/acquaintances have yet to have children or even think about it. It seems a standard question in the circles I travel in to ask someone as an icebreaker what they do. In the Mummy circles, what you do or did is also a question. How do you answer? I don't want to put down any parents who work outside the home as being second class parents, so full time mum is out.
The question of who gets how much free time is one we are working on in our relationship, though it takes a back burner to the more pressing who does which chores by when problem. What counts as free time? Is it a continuum? Is this free time, since I can read or work on the computer with the baby sleeping on my chest, or is it half free time since I can only do things that will not wake him. Does husbands time to in the washroom count since I can't sit doen with...
I like a good picking up the trash if it has really gotten far since you see results right away. After that, I use a timer. 10, 15, or 20 minutes and I just go at whatever strikes me. It works as a maintenance pick up, or lets you work hard at one area. After you can take a little break and start again or you can squeeze it in here and there, since it is only a few minutes. I also like the does not belong here basket, to keep from getting distracted if I am working on...
We finally moved into a place this fall with in unit laundry so I had to come up with a new routine. The laundry is in the kitchen (stacking front loader) so there is no where to pile up a mess. I wash Monday, all Monday. When it is nice here in New England, I line dry. In the winter/wet I use the dryer and since the first load heats it up, the rest take less time. It also means you only have one round of putting laundry away, which I find to be the hardest part. This...