or Connect

Posts by CluckyInAZ

soybean oil and other polyunsaturated oils could be a culprit too.
sur la table has more spatulas than reason, they probably have some rubber ones.
Quote: Originally Posted by stilllearning85 I was just about to order the san fran one! Do they come with instructions on how to keep it going? can you use other flours?? I am so excited! I know two other people with this starter and they both say to just feed it white flour. you can use other flours to make your breads, but I would just feed white to the starter to keep it uncontaminated. It comes with instructions and some recipes. On...
soy sauce, or shoyu always has wheat in it. Tamari is supposed to be wheat free, so that is what you should be looking for. I LOVE South River Miso! Their garlic and red pepper chickpea miso is sooo good on hardboiled eggs! : I have gotten their dandelion leek tamari and it is definitely a different flavor experience, way better than store tamari in my opinion. I miss it now that it is gone.
I have tried making my own starter a few times and they never worked very well. I just bought one from fermentedtreasures.com, the san francisco one, and it rises fabulously. I never even knew sourdough could rise so well, seriously. I would say pitch the homemade one and buy one. Bread making takes so much work, in my opinion, it is worth having a good starter to give your bread the best chance.
there is a recipe for fermented rice milk in NT. Here is a recipe for fermented oat milk http://www.southrivermiso.com/recipes/porridge.html and here is a recipe for amazake, a fermented rice drink. I have some rice koji, but I haven't tried making this yet. http://www.southrivermiso.com/recipes/amazake.html
does it taste really goaty? the info from the website about it sounds a lot better than the crappy 1% or skim I can get. Maybe I should get a doctor's note? How do you get a doctor's note to get goat milk and not compromise getting the cow cheese? I am very fond of getting the natural cheese.
According to this article http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/liver.html Liver doesn't store toxins at all. "One of the roles of the liver is to neutralize toxins (such as drugs, chemical agents and poisons); but the liver does not store toxins. Poisonous compounds that the body cannot neutralize and eliminate are likely to lodge in the fatty tissues and the nervous system. The liver is not a storage organ for toxins but it is a storage organ for many important...
I would think that dry yeast packets are an industrial invention and that the brewer's starter culture, like a sourdough, was the main yeast in the past. I know bread in medieval times was often made using leftover yeasty stuff from brew making. Alcohol can also be made with a sourdough starter, such as the small beer recipe in NT. I would think a homemade yeast colony would always need to be wet and fed regularly, but you can dry a sourdough starter to preserve it...
I would soak flour with a sourdough starter. I just got one and I love it! That is just flour and water, yeast and beneficial bacteria. No dairy and it does a great job.