or Connect

Posts by sundaya

I realize this is a week old, but boy have I been there. Still am, some days. My kid is 4.75 now, but we still go through some of this. It comes in waves. Tidal waves :) A few things that have helped over the last couple of years.  If I can catch, just at the moment it starts to ignite in her, and sit down next to her, put a hand on her arm, look into her eyes, and tell her that I am the luckiest mom in the world, to have her- sometimes that can help. Then, I can ask what...
What I would try, totally based on my own kids, which might have nothing to do with how your LO and/or family works :),  would be to make the early nap around noon- 12:30, and try to stretch out the 5 pm nap to an early bedtime- 6:30 or so. Then, at the 45 minute mark, do whatever it takes to keep them asleep so it doesn't become a nap. For some reason, for my LO's, anything past about 6:30 is bedtime, anything before, a nap. They've all gone through that desperate need...
Been there with DD. She's grown out of it by now, but it was SO HARD. Can you move her morning nap later? My kids drop naps crazy early, and I've never had one taking 2 naps after about 12 months. We always go through a rough patch at night when they are ready to drop a nap. Is it possible that she's just overtired by the time bedtime comes around? Teething? I did the Dr. Jay Gordon thing when DD was about 22 months, and it worked really really well. The other thing...
Lol, is it awful to say I'm glad someone else is going through this also? Thanks for posting!
Thanks for your reply! I haven't talked to our pedi about her behavior since the passing out thing...she's great for medical advice, but we're totally 180 from each other on parenting. I'll definitely keep that in mind, though, if it continues or gets worse. An elimination diet might be a really good idea. The only thing she ingests regularly that is commonly eliminated is dairy, but that could definitely be it- we do primal plus dairy, so no processed foods, no gluten,...
DD will be 4 in December. She's always been intense. When she was 6 months old, she would cry until she threw up(while being held and soothed), at 15 months old, she would pass out. For a while now she has had rageful temper tantrums that are like nothing I've ever seen. Screaming to the point of losing her voice, hitting me, holding onto my leg, totally out of control. Anywhere from once or twice a week to 8 in a day.  Now, 15 month old DS has started tantruming also...
You know, everything changes from one week to the next when they're this little. With my first, I worried about things like this, would figure out a solution, and then it would  change completely. Not that you're doing anything wrong at all. But, just know that it will change. All of it. The 8 hours will almost certainly go away (I'm soooo sorry!). And lots of the pieces will change simply because you are at work, and not there to snuggle back with. That being said, I...
A video monitor was the best thing we ever invested in. We were in exactly the same situation. Big girl can be a restless sleeper at times, and likes to snuggle, so I was always worried, even if I just was running out for a second. I did opposite sides of the bed, but the video monitor made it so I could relax while I was doing whatever I was doing, and not have to run and check every 12 seconds.
To me, sounds like a pretty typical reaction to a new baby, where big kid controls what they can....you cannot force a child to eat, only offer, and they choose to eat or not, from there. The more you try to control, or stress, the more it seems to them like a good area to exert their own control in :) All said from experience. I would cut back on the junk. If you don't want him to eat it, don't give it to him. What worked for us: Write down a list of all the healthy...
We still bedhsare with big girl and little guy. DD was almost 3 when DS was born. I did bedtime by myself most nights. In the beginning, sometimes with them both at the same time- DS nursing while I told stories/rubbed DD's back. Other times separate- DD playing by herself while I got DS to sleep, or, on a rough night, watching a video. After they fell asleep, I used a video monitor (best purchase we've ever made) to watch them, so that I could do other stuff, or I would...