or Connect

Posts by sundaya

Thank you so much for responding! And, yes, that does help. I'm thinking throwing her up on my back might throw her off enough to snap her out of it, if that makes sense. She loves to be worn, but doesn't get to as often anymore, since her little bro generally takes that place. Unfortunately, I think it really scares him when she gets so out of control, and he is usually wanting me also :(  I know this won't last forever, though, right....? It does help to know that...
So, my big spirited girl is 3.5  She tantrums maybe 2-4 times a day, but they're big freak-outs. Hitting, pinching, pushing, screaming, throwing things, flailing. Mostly aimed at me. What used to work best was picking her up and holding her until she calmed down, and physically (gently) stopping her from doing those things. I've read just 'bout everything, and mostly things are going way better. I think this new round is being caused by DS becoming more mobile and into...
Well, came here to post basically the same thing... 3.5 year old dd, very spirited. We also have an 11 month old ds. The only thing I might can have from our experience (hits or throws things when angry, doesn't do transitions well, spends more time than i would like in screaming meltdown mode) Some days she can handle tv, some days she can't. It seems to suck her in too much, and it's really really hard for her to transition out of that "sucked in" state. I...
another work in progress here. We've been working on this a LOONG time....it's getting better. The thing that helped me the most with my sanity was separating out the issues: issue 1: DD will not let herself settle down enough to sleep. Issue 2: It makes my frustration level go through the roof, and turns me into an angry mommy because I just want her ASLEEP so I can do some of the chores that I simply cannot figure out how to do with her and her 10 month old little...
We had about the same difference in age, and DH was at work at bedtime. We started a routine fairly early, and baby DS fell into it fairly easily. When he was that little, we did his bath, then right after, 2 1/2 year old DD's bath. While she was bathing, I was sitting on the side nursing him in his pj's in the sling. He usually fell asleep. And if it took a while, she didn't care, she loves the bath. After, she was able to do a lot of the work getting her pj's on....
oh yeah....huge huge hugs. Going from 1 to 2 was hugely traumatic and without a doubt the most difficult thing I've ever done. DS was born when DD was 31 months old. DD was high needs, spirited as a baby and toddler, but had mellowed out SOO much. until she got her new brother. She actually weaned on her own during the pregnancy, so I wasn't tandem nursing, but we do all co-sleep in a big old family bed. Here are the things that worked for us. I won't go into the...
If it were my daughter, I would ask for something mildly sedating- oral versed or chloral hydrate, something of that nature. They affect anxiety level, get you really really relaxed, and versed also makes you forget the experience. They can be given by mouth.  I also would not hesitate to be the mom who says to the nurse, find me the person who is the very best at doing this. No one will be learning or being trained on my kid, thanks anyways. Girls are a whole different...
Hi, I was diagnosed with GD during my pregnancy with DD (now 3 1/2). Also had a ton of complications: large fibroids, 2 bleeding episodes, pre-term labor (bedrest for 14 weeks) polyhydramnios, and a dramatic delivery due to a too short umbilical cord and placental abruption. I also felt miserable, and horribly sick the entire time. I was able to control the GD through diet, but I could barely eat due to nausea throughout the entire pregnancy. I gained a total of 6...
I turned 44 6 weeks after DS was born, so was definitely AMA. My OB didn't once mention high risk, though, despite the fact that I was definitely high risk with my previous pregnancy (early bleeding, preterm labor, large fibroids, gestational diabetes, and polyhydramnios) He did do the GD test early, but it was because I had it in my previous pregnancy. I did not in this one, though (nor any of the other complications. woohoo!). I do all the non-invasive screening. It...
I had this issue with DS1. FWIW, he's now 23, and has been wiping himself for a really really long time with, I assume, no issues :) What I found with these power-stuggle thingies (and what DD, 3 1/2, is re-teaching me) is that I have to stop my end of the fight, and revisit later. What worked for us was to give up on wiping for a while, and just pop him in the bath after a bm. We revisited with a different tactic (sticker chart, special treat, I honestly can't now...