or Connect

Posts by Geist

Re: the nannies: I think she was just emphasizing how absolutely overwhelmed they were. I think her oldest was...2 or 3 when the twins were born, which is still a fairly needy age. And then twins! Yowza! I was overwhelmed when I added my second and my oldest was 2.5. I couldn't imagine having 2 babies instead of one. I left that section of the book thinking she had a bit of PPD. I don't think all of them were nannies and I didn't think all of them were full-time either. I...
  It's the same with us. Whenever my DS doesn't want to do something that we always do, like clean up toys in the evening for example I just tell him "Es muss sein." It must be. There is no NOT doing it (unless we're out late of course :P) and it's what we've always done, so not doing it isn't an option. Of course, it helps that we really have ALWAYS done it. It's a lot harder with habits we're trying to start up but we haven't actually always done thigns that way so I...
okay and who on earth added the poll atthe top of the thread?Bringing up bebe has nothing to do with the French or Americans being "more innovative" as far as raising children is concerned and it's completely irrelevant. Plus there's no none of the above :P
This is very true. In the US we lack that support network because we all come from different cultural backgrounds. There used to be more of an "American" way of doing things---either you raised your kids The American Way or you were a Foreigner who hadn't assimilated yet. But now that we're more multicultural and that's seen as a GOOD thing, people are more afraid to step in and say anything at all. Or if they do step in, it's not very helpful. In the European countries...
I wouldn't say Americans lie when they say this--I know I genuinely believed it when I said it! But I think it shows how very out of touch we are with our own culture. They say that explaining culture to people is like explaining water to a fish--you don't see it because it's all around you. We don't see our culture or how it affects how we see things because we take it for granted. We take it for granted that the reason our kids don't sit still at the table is because...
I love these replies mainly because they seem to view the book as completely looking down on America and Americans, instead of being a cross cultural study that it is. That is mainly how I viewed it and it struck a deep chord with me since my family is multicultural--my husband is from Finland and I have family in Germany. She and I had a lot of shared experiences. I always heard about how my German friends' babies were sleeping through the night from so many...
    I figure if all else fails,  I can always have them airlifted to a German speaking country with nothing but a German-English dictionary and a wad of cash ;)
    His minority language. I can't identify really if he ever uses the accusative. But he seems to use nominative case endings a lot at least. I don't think his speech is clear enough for me to really identify other cases. I'll have to listen to him very clearly in the next few days to see if I hear any :) Accusative is a tricky case---at least in German, since masculine nouns switch to "den" while everything else stays the same. What a pain!   Also I just remembered a...
my son is 3 and sometimes uses cases--he gets words with colors right some of the time--like saying "brown soda" ==braune cola, or red soda, rote cola and some with animals as well (schwarz-weisses Huhn) but mostly just in accusative, not much in any of the other cases, but I don't think it's a problem. This is the sort of thing that is also really drilled into them in school as well, so it would involve a lot of studying either way.
    THIS! Order books from amazon.de--I got this cheapo little German Kinderlieder Buch (http://www.amazon.de/Kinderlieder-Texte-und-Melodien/dp/3150184894/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1335042228&sr=8-3) that only costs 3 Euros but has all the classics. If I don't know the melody, I type the song name into Youtube and can usually learn it from there. I also order a lot of books from there, otherwise.