or Connect

Posts by marsupial-mom

Thank you for this thread!  I am traveling with my 42 pound 4-year-old and was considering buying a booster since he can legally ride in one now. But I had doubts and wanted to research it.  He's big enough for a booster and if used properly I'm sure he'd be fine. But it's a good point about mental readiness. I don't think he is ready to sit properly in it and not unbuckle himself or fall asleep. 
Doing sports or music or other extracurricular is not just about the specific activity. It's about learning to practice, learning time management, keeping them out of trouble, giving them nonacademic ways to socialize or to socialize with other kids, etc. I think that for young children we shouldn't worry about overscheduling, but older children should focus on one or two activities. Young children need to try lots of things to see what fits best.    My 4-year-old does...
As I recall, in my state bio children are required to be vaccinated. Pets are definitely required to be vaccinated - and they demand medical records - so I'm assuming they'd require bio kids to be vaxxed too. Not sure how they'd respond to an exemption. They might license you but then only place foster kids who also have the same exemption. Or they might license you but deny medically fragile placements. Or they may not license you at all. Not sure. As to the notion that...
My 4-year-old loves dresses and skirts. He also likes bows and nail polish. And motorcycles and blocks and Legos and cars and pants and shorts. He likes skateboards and bikes and balls and snakes. And unicorns and princesses and fairies too. I don't think it has anything definitively to do with gender identity or sexual orientation. He just has some current preferences that may or may not "stick." He has his own tastes and he's pretty adamant about what he likes or...
Homework is not Montessori. It's just not. So it's really the same issue as any other homework and can be done at the kitchen table, at a desk in the childs room, or elsewhere like a tutors house or at school in after hours. Personally I like the idea of the child doing it at their desk in their room. But if they need help then the dining table.
My son is similar, only he throws things, screams, tears up paper, and pees when he's out of control. I would LOVE it if it were just crying. But it's not. I'd say he is a highly sensitive person, perfectionist, and high energy. Worse, I'm similar. I feel so terrible that I can't always demonstrate how to manage strong emotions. And we can feed off eachother, making us both crazy. I don't have a great strategy. But I've found that he needs activity - plenty of exercise....
My four-year-old is the same. The weird thing is that at age two he was fantastic with animals, literally fantastic! He was sooo gentle and never pulled ears or hit or any of that. But now he just wants to play right with them all the time. He lives them, loves lots of animals, but he is just wild and rough. I really don't know how to handle it rather except to separate them. I just give the dogs a way to escape.
At your very first appointment with an agency they should be able to break down the costs and timeline for you.
Just never felt a calling to adopt internationally. Did a fostercare adoption first and will probably do domestic private the second time around. We chose fostercare for these reasons: - personal experience with fostercare - wanting to make a difference - far less expensive than alternatives - felt it was most ethical option (felt it was easier to ensure the child truly needs a home) - wanted to sort of check it out before committing, which fostering allows Will probably...
Sorry, I don't have a similar experience or know anyone who has gone through that but I can tell you that a letter from a therapist NOW can go a long ways towards helping you be able to adopt in the future. You're lucky that it was about suicide/depression and not child abuse. If it had been about child abuse you'd be disqualified from adopting.