or Connect

Posts by marsupial-mom

In my area breastfeeding a foster baby or feeding donated/bought breastmilk would not be allowed. However, there's no one checking to see what you feed the child and so if the baby is growing well and is healthy it probably wouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't and did not do it, but I personally think it is a gray area ethically and I think it should be legal.   I don't think the issues about bonding are all that relevant. I did not breastfeed my foster babies but I...
From Adoptive Families Magazine comes an article that discusses some of the negative emotional after-effects of adoption, from a bit of the blues to outright depression. Here is the link: http://www.adoptivefamilies.com/articles.php?aid=2505 Some quotes from the article:  Again, the link: http://www.adoptivefamilies.com/articles.php?aid=2505 Lots of good stuff there. 
I'm having similar issues with my son, who is 4. I feel like he has moments where he's totally out of control almost every day. He throws things, hits or kicks. And he runs away from me in dangerous situations (like parking lots). He screams and cries. And I don't always respond well. I have said a few things I regret.   When my son acts this way I feel so embarrassed and angry. I just want to leave, to run away and never come back. I feel like I don't want to be his...
There are pros and cons to any arrangement. Closer together and they have more potential to be playmates and close friends. They might be able to share more things (rooms, clothes, birthday parties, etc) which might be nice. But there might also be more competition. And there might be fewer resources. But then, the parents get out of the diapers faster, potty training faster, etc.   Personally, I think 4-5 years between the kids is ideal FOR US. The way we see it is that...
mom0810, Thank you for sharing. I have long felt that the vocal voices of angry adoptees only represent a segment of the adoptee population and that there are others who are very happy with their adoption while the majority are probably more likely in the middle area with feelings of both contentedness with their lives as adoptees but some sadness about the loss of their bio family. I don't want to trivialize those who have deep feelings of loss but for those who don't I...
Glad you're not going to make waves. My experience tells me that criticizing your workers or they system does zero good and has potential to harm you.   My experience is that they have absolutely no accountability. You can take them to court, win, and still nothing will change. You might get to keep that one kid you fought for in court, but the system doesn't change. The unfounded beliefs that harmed your kid won't change. The incompetence that harmed your kid won't...
I used to think it was wrong (in general I follow all rules) but in the past few years I've loosened up. I often bring a snack or dtink and buy the other. Edamame is my favorite snack to sneak in.
We do time outs. They're time to take a break and regain composure. Or a time to reflect and redirect. They are not always punishment. Many times the time out is not alone, just a time to stop everything and sit for a minute. Sometimes I sit with my son, hold his hand or even hug. After, we always hug.
I don't really agree with you on all your reasons but that doesn't matter. Bottom line is you don't want to. That is enough reason! Tell the in-laws to come visit you instead.