or Connect

Posts by katiecat

I learned to do them toe up and almost always do that, 2 at a time on magic loop. I've found when I find a pattern I like it almost always works toe up even if it was written for cuff down. (It might look slightly different!) But I also do a lot of plain/ribbed socks. There are times I've had to do the toe 4 or 5 times before I get it going but I'm getting more used to it now.   I hate picking up stitches so almost always do a short row heel. It's not as durable as a...
We are renovating our kitchen - new cabinets and counters. The only lights we will have in our kitchen which has the kitchen at one end and a small eating area at the other are one light in the middle of the ceiling and then a light in the hood fan over the stove. (We've looked at adding other lighting but it involves more electrical work than we want to do right now). Any suggestions for a nice main light in the middle of a 10'x16' room? I want it both to look nice and...
I'm late here but just wanted to chime in and say that I had surgery when I was 11 that was considered cosmetic and I am so glad I did and don't regret it a bit. It's something people often laugh about - and I laugh about it now the odd time I tell people but it was very important to me at the time and I know if I hadn't had it done then I would have still done it at some point. My ears really stuck out and I had them "pinned back". Of course that surgery is nothing like...
Yep I've been following Aron's stuff since she first published The Highly Sensitive Person (long before ds was born) which I found for myself. Boy did it explain a lot and made me feel less alone. I was recently looking through the school age chapters in the HSC book since I think I last read it when he was about 3 or 4. I find it hard to find a balance between pushing my son (and myself) and just...not and leaving things the way they are. Especially since he seems quite...
When I was looking up enlarged tonsils I found more info on enlarged adenoids and it sounds like that can cause the ear issues my son and I get. I do get the tonsil "stone" things too but rarely and that usually coincides with my being sick. It is not fun!   Babysmurf (so funny - my son is currently into watching episodes of the Smurfs!) that's the thing I was wondering about. Is it a it gets better before it gets worse type of thing. Thanks for that info! It makes...
Thanks everyone. I'll stick with saying the kinds of things Lynn suggested.   Meemee thanks for your words too. I'm also used to being/feeling very alone myself because of my own thoughts and feelings and sensitivities. It is hard and at times I feel it's made me very cynical but there is a positive side to it too. I will talk to ds more about those kinds of things too.
Thanks rush2ady! That's the kind of stuff ds has been looking at though I don't think we'd seen that website. He's watched videos on physics on youtube and stuff by Stephen Hawking. I agree with you!   I guess I'm questioning this more at this time because of his age and because of what others are telling him. I know he's always going to be the think outside the box type and I value that. And I'm glad he doesn't seem to care too much what others think about him. But I...
Sweetsilver am I understanding correctly that enlarged tonsils can cause the ear blocking? It's not necessarily actual fluid in the head/sinuses but the tonsils causing the ear issues?   I haven't tried cutting anything else out of our diet yet as I was concentrating on the dairy. I was wondering how long it would take to notice a difference but it seems that 2 weeks should be enough time (I was cutting out hidden dairy too).   I did take him to a chiropractor a...
Thanks! Yes we do help him to learn more - he does a lot on his own too. And we do talk about how other inventors/famous people/geniuses often weren't understood when they were young or even in their own lifetimes.   I didn't like the well you'll show them thing either. I am not the kind of person who would usually say those things and I think I only said that once in a very mild and laughing way.   Lynn you've hit the nail on the head in a lot of ways. DS seems...
Not sure if I should post in the pre-teen forum - ds is 9 and in grade 3.   He is still quite...what I'll call "immature" in some ways. He's also quite sensitive. Just a bit of background.   So he's in the wanting to be an inventor stage and really truly believes that he's going to invent many things including a time machine. He's very into dinosaurs right now so he talks a lot about inventing a time machine and going back to dinosaur times. I don't have a...