or Connect

Posts by SpottedFoxx

I've been in your shoes.  My son's friend's father hits her as a form of discipline.  I told him I don't believe in using violence in the guise of discipline with kids.  He just rolled his eyes at me.  I haven't cut him off but have severely limited my interactions.  Yesterday, we actually spent some time together - both families.  I learned his wife doesn't believe in hitting but she's a bit of a mouse when it comes to standing up to her husband.  We got onto the...
SB - They tried giving me SSRI's and SRNI's for anxiety - it was terrible!  I have a rare disease which makes those drugs nearly impossible for me to take.  I finally put my foot down with my shrink at the time (who I've since fired because he refused to read the research I'd provide and would fight with me constantly) and told him I don't have depression, I have anxiety.  I have 10x the normal amount of histamine in my body - including my brain which is a known cause...
I get wanting to allow kids to be outside alone and play.  However your son and his friend are only 10 and you have a nutjob for a neighbor.  Okay, they threw gravel and I do agree with having him offer his own money to repair any damage (but only if there was actual damage) but I think you need to make changes.  It sucks but until things can be brought under control by a person in authority (police), your children should not be outside unsupervised.  Better than she...
My son is 7.  He has a responsibility chart.  We got it at Lakeview Learning.  It's empty and you can just fill in the blanks and wipe it off as necessary.  Right now his goals are... (please keep in mind he has special needs)....   1.  Wake up dry. 2.  Get up and dressed without help. 3.  Clean off your plates from the table. 4.  Get ready for bed without a fuss 5.  Get jammies on without help. 6.  Do homework without a fuss. 7.  Feed the cats without...
Beach that's a heck of an assumption to make.  Just because someone hasn't gone down your path, doesn't mean they haven't tried a biomedical approach.  It also doesn't warrant your feeling sorry for someone because they chose to go a different way than your own.  I'm glad this product worked for you.  For every one "it worked", I can find a lot more of "it's snake oil" on this particular product.   Plus, your child was never diagnosed as being apraxic so your findings...
When in doubt, check it out.  If you are in NJ (based on your name - lol) and are near Marlton NJ, I highly recommend our speech therapists office.  They do the feeding as well as speech.  It's Rizza Miro & Associates.  The only negative, they don't take insurance.  They are reasonable though and they are amazing.  CHOP has a great feeding program but there is a hell of a wait from what I hear - but they do take insurance.
Anon - we need more parents in the world like you.   If I ever met you in person, I'd just have to give you a big hug.  Kudos to you for sticking it out and fighting for your son.  I wish your family peace and happiness - you deserve it!
I'll never forget, we were at a Chanukah celebration.  A woman walked up to me, didn't even bother to say hello and just said "please tell me you are getting him services".  He was only 4 at the time, we were still in the early stages of discovering what his diagnosis was and how to best manage his behavior.  I was heartbroken and horrified and all I could manage was a weak "yes".  She went on to tell me she was a special education teacher but I will never forget how...
Sounds like a very healthy 14 month old baby.  Not all babies develop stranger anxiety or separation anxiety.  I think my son did for a day or two (he's not autistic).  Not following stuff could be normal and it could be a vision issue - ask your pediatrician at what age a child should follow instructions to look at something and maybe ask for a ophthalmology consult.   Babbling is talking at that age.  Keep a close watch on it though and when in doubt.... check it out....
It actually sounds more like a sensory process issue than ADHD.  Being in a new environment - especially a classroom with kids, parents, teachers, florescent lights, air conditioning going, chairs scraping on the floor (sound can be a huge trigger) can cause a child with SPD to exhibit signs of ADHD.  The food thing also falls into that category.  As most schools do not (have to) recognize SPD, you would probably do well to have him checked by an OT who specializes in SPD.