or Connect

Posts by YvonneC-M

Boy, do I wish I'd felt that fetal ejection reflex! First baby, 2.5 hours of pushing, after 3 days in labor. Birthed in a hospital, with an epidural. Second baby, pushed about 30 minutes, also in a hospital but no interventions. Both times I started pushing when my OB instructed me to start, not because I felt the urge. Everything turned out fine, but next time I'll wait. Both babies were more than 8 lbs.
I feel for you! Do you have your daughter on a schedule, or do you put her down for a nap only when she shows signs that she needs one (crankiness, rubbing eyes, etc)? In either case, I have a couple of suggestions. One is to feed her a meal before nap time, and make sure she eats well before attempting a nap. The second suggestion, concurrent with the first one, is to delay nap time and keep her active to the point that sleep is inevitable. In addition, as others...
I agree with MeepyCat and am very pleased that Kate took no pains to camouflage her postpartum bump. I'm inclined to interpret her postpartum good looks as suggesting that she had a natural birth, only because my second child's birth was natural, and the next day I felt as good as Kate looked. I could've run a marathon.   Like michelleepotter, I too experienced a lack of family support for my pregnancies, and am therefore especially sensitive to the fact that ALL...
Breast-feeding is absolutely easier! My family and I just returned from a two-week trip to Germany; we have a 4-year-old and a 10-month-old. As other mothers here have commented, BFing helps equalize a baby's ears during cabin pressure changes. And what a relief to not have to pack formula and bottles, much less wash them, etc. For travel within Germany, we took trains, and this was great because both girls could move around and play with other kids, and I could nurse...
My little one, Leora, takes two naps a day of about 1-2 hours each. She's usually in bed by 9pm and wakes by 7am. She still nurses several times a night. I either nurse her to sleep (we lie down together on the bed) or I carry her and rock and sing lullabies till she's knocked out. And if these don't work, DH rocks her to sleep. How about your little one?
I'd like to follow up on my earlier post, from 6/13. I gave birth naturally on 6/19 to an 8 lb 4 oz baby girl! At about 1pm that day, I realized I was in active labor, and arrived at the hospital at 7:15pm, dilated to 6 cm. My daughter was born at 10:23pm. I can now say that natural is the way to go. Why? Because by the next day I felt great. No long, drawn-out recovery period. Some of the nurses and even my doctor commented that I didn't look like I'd just given birth...
Similar to Kjourdan, I pumped 2x a day at work until my DD was 11 months, then reduced it to once a day when I noticed that my output was decreasing, then stopped altogether four months later when DD was 15 months and output was so low that pumping even just once a day wasn't worth the time and effort. My daughter continued to BF in the mornings and evenings, and on weekends, and weaned when she was about 2-1/2. Toward the end, I asked her a few times whether there was...
With my first baby, I had been in labor for two and a half days, and dilated only 6 cm, when I decided to have an epidural. My main motivation was to be able to sleep. This was a Saturday morning, and I hadn't slept since the previous Tuesday night. The epidural did allow me to sleep and rest enough to later make it through the pushing stage (2.5 hours), and I'm thankful for that, but toward the end of the dilation stage, my back hurt and I was so uncomfortable from not...
I'm so sorry, Annie Mac, about your mother's lack of support. Especially her neglect of your toddler. That hurts. My own mother is getting more and more fearful of life as she gets older, and I think it's that growing anxiety that makes her so negative. It has nothing to do with me or my family. Maybe your mother's crankiness is similar.   There are moments when I wish I'd had children earlier in life, but the truth is that, until I met my husband, I was too restless...
AverysMomma, thank you so much for your words of support, and great suggestions on how to present the news. You're absolutely right that we ourselves have to set the stage, so that whoever's receiving the news follows our lead, rather than the other way around.   TenzinsMama, I remember you from the 2WW thread a little while back! Thank you for your support too. Nice to be in touch with another older mama. My mother is a very loving and generous person, but she's...