or Connect

Posts by catinthehat

Thank you for your suggestions.  Very helpful.  She hasn't been getting as much sleep lately b/c she stays up till about 9pm reading most nights.  I will make bedtime earlier for sure.  I do try to keep a good routine with school work, etc.  I am still working on the kind but firm...that one takes so much practice and is so easy to screw up.
That is a really good point.  Thank you.  She does always seem to take a looong time to "get into" the school year.  Can you give me any suggestions for her?  The food intolerances are certainly an issue for her, but maybe I can work on some other aspects of life to help her.  Thanks :)
My dd is 9 and was diagnosed with ADHD about 9 months ago.  I have controlled it pretty well with diet and herbal supplements.  Recently however, she has started back to school, and I believe she is eating food from her friends lunches most every day.  She has food sensitivities to corn, soy, and cow milk.  When she eats these things her ADHD symptoms get much worse.  It seems to be a vicious cycle.  Any advice how to help her?  I pack her things that she requests for...
My dear grandmother died a little over a year ago.  I had been living across the country when she had a stroke, and my mom advised me not to come out to see her as she was not aware of what was going on around her.  She was like that for a few weeks, then she passed away in the hospital.  My mom said she wasn't having a funeral for her, and that I shouldn't come out( I also was pregnant and have 2 other young children).  So I didn't come home at all.  Now, time has...
Hi, I am at a loss as to how to get my dd to get ready for school in the morning.  She either can't or just won't stay on task and do her morning to do's like teeth brushing, getting dressed, brushing hair, etc.  The morning goes like this- Dd comes upstairs and has to eat immediately, she is starving( I say this b/c I have tried making a rule like she has to be dressed and hair brushed before ahe can eat breakfast, but she is too hungry and it causes a screaming...
Thank you, Mee mee, for the reply.  That is encouraging to hear.  I am sad for your dd to have to deal with her dad saying those things to her.  I know that is so hard for little girls to hear.  I will try to not make such a big deal over it in the future.  I love your idea of showing art work of voluptuous women.  I sometimes feel guilty b/c I am very thin, and she may be comparing herself to me.  I hope not.  I hope it is just another wierd phase she is going...
Hi, My dd(8) has been making some comments in the last month about her body.  She will say things like, "why is my belly fat?", or, "I don't want to wear these snowpants, they make me look fat".  She has brought it up numerous times.  I have asked her why she is so worried about it, and she says b/c the kids at school make fun of fat people.  We have talked about how she is perfect just the way she is, and there are many different types of beautiful bodies(btw, she is...
I think dd1 has been going through some hormonal ups and downs lately.  She has been tough to deal with- very emotional, mean to me(her mom), and demanding.  However, it is so hard for me to tell b/c she has always been a difficult child for me to deal with.  Last night, dd2  who is 6yo, was sick with fever and had night terrors throughout the night.  I was up all night with her and it was scary.  Dd1 woke up this morning and after hearing what her sister had been...
I have an 8 year old and a six year old.  We finally live in a place(the country) where I feel good about having them roam.  I just make sure they stay away from the road.  However, we used to live in an apartment complex and I had an experience when dd1 was 3 years old, where a man living in a downstairs apartment tried to get her to come into his apartment when she was walking around in the yard.  He thought she was alone b/c I hadn't come around the corner of the...
I would be really happy if I wasn't so lonely.  If I had family or a strong network of stay at home mom friends, it would be great.