or Connect

Posts by catinthehat

I have been rolling an idea around in my head for a few days and wanted to put it out there and see what you all think of it.  We go to church dinners once a week in the basement of our church.  There are usually about 50-75 people attending.  We get a plate of food that the church kitchen makes on a disposable plate(usually styrofoam) with disposable silverware.  I am so disgusted by the garbage, and I was thinking of trying to get some kind of system in place where we...
I have found most of the replies here to be extremely irrational and almost like you are just playing the devils advocate.  I have a hard time believing that most of the mothers here would not have acted in the same way I did if they were in a similar situation with a teacher.  I DID confront dd's teacher at the conferences sevral weeks ago about several things dd had told me about and she TOTALLY denied all of them.  So, I am left with the options of A. teacher is...
Thank you Mum4vr.  I totally agree, she is my child, and I do have a right to be with her when I choose!  I am not a malicious woman trying to target a second year teacher.  I am a loving parent who senses things are amiss with this teacher, and wants to know what is going on in my child's classroom.  My dd's teacher last year was hated by lots of people in the area,but to me she was kind and to my dd she was kind.  That is all that mattered to me.  When my husband and I...
Thank you for the replies.  Perhaps you all are right that I should have emailed the day before to let her know I was coming in.  However, I don't think it is THAT strange that I did it.  Lots of parents have time come up when they have an hour they didn't know they would have and they decide to go visit their child.  This is only first grade you know, not a highschool chem lab I am disrupting.   On another note, I made a planned visit earlier in the year and i asked...
My dd is in first grade this year.  Her teacher is a second year teacher and as the principle says to me, she has one of the most "structured" classes in the school.  I am finding myself increasingly concerned over her behavior management methods and her behavior in general.  The biggest, "oh my" moment for me came last week when I came in to visit dd in school.  The school has an open door policy for parents, and I had not told the teacher I was coming, but I didn't...
Great thread, "(5) At the end of the day, you and your children will not remember your children's behavior, but you will all be dramatically influenced by your response. If you've modeled patience, kindness, and understanding, it was the right choice." I love this. Something to meditate on. Some tricks I try to do, not always successfully- some of these have already been mentioned. 1. Don't compare your kids behavior to other peoples kids behavior. 2. Find a...
Thanks, We also got a dog about a month ago. Maybe that could be part of it too?
Last week it was the 6yo I needed help with, this week the 4yo, LOL! Anyway, dd turned 4 not long ago, and she is really going through something right now, and I am looking for some explanations. About a month ago she started being really defiant with me. She has always been a mommy's girl, and not to into dad, so this has been a change. She has been relatively coopertive until now too, but suddenly we are having 2-3 tanrums a day, running away(she won't go too far),...
I feel that teaching children to use food as a reward is a dangerous path to go down, leading to higher risk of obesity and eating disorders. It is also true that rewarding with junk food may be directly related to circuits in the brain associated with addiction. Also, I do have concerns about the health of my dd when she receives a handful of candy at the end of the day when she is hungry and her blood sugar spikes and then falls. That IS dangerous IMO for her health. ...
My dd is in first grade. I had trouble last year with the amount of candy handed out by the teacher for holidays, special days, etc. But this year her new teacher gives out candy several times a week for good behavior! My dd came out of school friday with chocolate all over her face, and she said she didn't know how many chocolate covered raisins she had gotten, so I am assuming it was more then a couple. I spoke with the principal about the candy on holidays last...