or Connect

Posts by Curious

I pushed 10 hours, not including a 2 hour boycott. I had a doula and a midwife and had been in labor for 3 days. When Dd stopped moving down after 8 hours of very gradual progress, I crossed my legs and insisted they consult the OB on duty to evaulate for pushing her back up an doing a C-section. I refused to continue pushing until they consulted her, and it took a good long time to get her, because for awhile they didn't take my boycott seriously. The OB came in and she...
My mom took this picture as we were leaving to carry a meal over to neighbors who had a new baby. We never needed any baby winter gear. I used my husband's coats and baby kept us both steamy on many cold days. We got lots of double-takes as we walked down the street.
We've done a Waldorf (mostly) approach from the start, going through summers with the whole year feeling loose and easy. We have a lot of time off around the year for Jewish holidays so I liked working in the summer when my energy was highest.   A few years ago Dd noticed that her school friends had summer vacations and requested same. She was willing to work harder at times to work to that goal, and we added an fourth day to our previous 3 day week this past Sept...
A tree is pretty and hard to resist asking for if there is any option at all. We do one because my Dh is a (disillusioned) Christian but still enjoys his traditions. I don't care for it, but I'm not sure that relationships are all about no one being uncomfortable. Dh comes to synogogue with me and Dd, sits through long services, supports our keeping Shabbat/Sabbath with many restrictive/freeing rules (depending on how you look at them).    The previous owner of our...
Thanks for the replies. We have an end of the story, at least for now.   After all the emotion settled (and the dog Dd liked was on it's way to a new home probably as I was writing), I figured out that our problem was really animal deficiency of a general nature, which I could remedy by letting the cats have more access. We allowed them into areas of the house where Dd tends to be, as well as made her bedroom cat friendly for the nights. Yes, we've had a few...
Yes, there is the whole puppy-training thing; in my mind I'd been preparing myself for maybe an adult some dream day when the cat thing worked out (they have they problems but they are sociable when visiting with other animals)...and I've been hoping that Dd would ride out this wave. Unfortunately, Dh's own desire for a dog caused him to get pulled in, which got her more pulled in...
I don't mean to offend any of the dog lovers in this forum. I know nothing about dogs. I had a fear of since childhood.  When Dd came along I learned to mask it - I did not want to pass on the fear to her. We have two cats and a fish tank, and Dd has fallen in love with a puppy. Since Dd has come along I've slowly been dealing with my fear, and the dog she is asking for is one that even I can see is silly to be afraid of. It's a teeny tiny thing destined to remain pretty...
We are native English speakers but as a family, we are studying the language of my family. We are all learning together and I am the most fluent, then Dd, then Dh. I try to use the other language as much as possible, but sometimes I just need an English word. I use the accent of the other language, use their version of the or this as it applies, and if I need to pluralize, I use the foreign way of doing do. It enables us to maintain a conversation without...
We're Waldorf homeschooling. Waldorf for young children is not academic. The point is to develop creativity so that kids will be able to adapt to whatever the world is when they grow up. Academically, socially, technologically - who knows really? Dh has been 99% with me. The one time he lapsed was when he met someone with another 18 month old who could count to 100 when Dd only knew what two was because she had two breasts to choose from. Dd is almost 9. Colors she...
Dd, soon to be 9, had a filling about 10 months ago. To shorten the story, while flossing Dd I noted an abnormal looking area of gum, the dentist confirmed that Dd has an abscess in the tooth, under the filling. She is recommending extraction with placement of a spacer. She says it's not an emergency but we should do it soon. I've gotten one second opinion which agreed with the first dentist, BUT he said he's 'traditional' and I might find other opinions. Anyone...