or Connect

Posts by Curious

Dd was dry for almost a year, until we traveled. Then she was wetting every 7-10 days. Dh started taking her to the bathroom around midnight, because he felt sorry for me having to change her and put down towels in the middle of the night. She wakes up enough to say something unintelligible to him just before they get to the bathroom. Now if he doesn't take her, she dreams that he does, and practically every time he misses the midnight mark, she talks in her sleep as if...
I did not give a name to whining. I did not want to give Dd something to live down to. Dh has used it on occasion but I think it's gone over her head (not much does). When she does use a voice I find irritating, I've done a few things, often followed by my restating the request the way I'd like to hear it. I might say, please use a courteous request, and restate a full sentence in a calm clear voice. I add for these purposes that just saying 'please' is not what I want....
Here's a weird idea that just crossed my mind as I read this. We don't have Barbie. She does not appeal to Dd (fortunately her peer group of homeschoolers have emulated fascination with other thigs). But I saw one in a store while shopping alone and I thought the accessories were so cute. I almost wanted the tiny teacups to play with myself! As a child, I had a friend who had Barbie. I never much liked it but I played along, mostly to be companionable. And by the way,...
This may have been said already but I feel compelled to add my experience: Dumping laundry is fun! And the bigger the response from the adult, the more fun it is!! Dd and Grandma used to go through this all the time! My mother would get so exasperated, which involved dramatics that were just so much fun for Dd to witness, much less know she could bring on. It was all entirely innnocent - just age appropriate play - at least for the child if not for the adult. If I don't...
Here's what I did after some research: I melted some coconut oil with beeswax dropped in. The mixture was soft at room temperature and too oily. I felt like the oil was hard to get off and would stain fabric coming into contact with the wood. So I added more beeswax and it hardened as soon as it touched the wood. So I added more cocounut oil again until it was firm on the wood but mushy and shumshy enough to coat the wood, especially good to do with warm bare...
Free online Access to Breastfeeding Medicine, Journal of the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine. The new publisher, Mary Ann Liebert, is devoted to bringing new thinking to mainstream medicine and publishes a number of innovative medical journals. See details here: http://view.exacttarget.com/?j=fe5f1...7e771c737d&jb=
Have to agree with recommendations for Bates and Ames Loving and Defiant. That says it all! I was wondering about a lot of little things Dd started coming up with over the past few months as 6 approaches. It was all there - so this is a phase which will of course pass. All I need to do is keep my head. I think this all leads to some fears and insecurity. The Bates Ames books describes a number of tics which can arise at 6, which they state relates to stress. They...
Have to agree with recommendations for Bates and Ames Loving and Defiant. That says it all! I was wondering about a lot of little things Dd started coming up with over the past few months as 6 approaches. It was all there - so this is a phase which will of course pass. All I need to do is keep my head. I think this all leads to some fears and insecurity. The Bates Ames books describes a number of tics which can arise at 6, which they state relates to stress. They...
This is a hard transition. Dd is almost 6 and naps started getting unpredictable somewhere between 2 and 3. But we do Quiet Time every day faithfully after lunch. It makes the difference between later craziness and not. Occastionally she ends up falling asleep, I think 2 or 3 times this year! Quiet means that she can talk but I need not answer. It's not always very quiet. But somehow it's restorative. To us both.
I'm making some Waldorfy decorations with sticks from the yard. They have been whittled and sanded and I now want to polish them with beeswax and mineral oil. I hear that this combination makes a nice polish. Does anyone have a recipe with the proportions and directions for mixing? Thanks.