or Connect

Posts by Curious

If you feel strongly it's right for you, you might want to consider what my sister did for her son: they chose an unusual first name and then a common middle name, so that if he really hated standing out, he had something mundane to turn to. Edited to add: I use the past tense because he is now 32 and as far as I know, never used the middle name.
One day a few years ago I couldn't stand the clutter anymore. We had a nice toy shelf for Dd but it was stuffed. And everything on it seemed to be something she used often. One night I dove in and put 3/4 of the stuff into the closet. I left out my favorites and figured if she missed something, I could grab it fast. In the morning Dd came out, looked at her shelf, and let out a huge gasp. Here comes the freak-out, I thought, and I braced myself. Then she said, "It's...
A friend of a friend swore by mannatech, extolling it's virtues to everyone she knew - as she died of the metastatic cancer it was supposed to have eliminated.
I used enterolab and went off gluten. I took the test because a doctor recommended it and I had a sense she was right that gluten was bad for me. I'm not sure things would be any different if I'd just gone off without the test, since the change in my sense of well being was huge. I am writing to say here that nonprofit does NOT mean no one gains. Being nonprofit does not mean you have no incentive to promote your organization. An organization can be nonprofit and still...
Homeschool holds an image, I find, of mother and child huddled at kitchen table grunting over a workbook, with no social contacts. When I explain to inquirers that homeschool means simply, based out of the home, their image shifts. That said, I don't enroll Dd, age nearly 6, in any outside formal activities and her life is VERY full. We are doing waldorf so I'm forced to pick up all sorts of new skills. We have a group that meets every other week and tries to meet on the...
If MDC doesn't see the need to add a subforum, at least a list of resources, such as appear in health and healing, and other areas, could save a lot of people time and energy. I got a lot of help from the medela chatroom LC's, mobi, and adoptive breastfeeding resource site - Ann's lactation boot camp was what got Dd back to the breast after I had nearly turned to just giving pumped bits. It took me way longer to make my way through search after search, than it needed to.
I think a sub forum would be helpful. A tribe thread is too long, and specific questions don't do well in the tribe thread format. Way back, when I first started posting questions (I'm not sure Breastfeeding Challenges exsited then), I met quite a bit of skepticism as to whether low supply truly existed, and posters who jumped in with 'have you tried fenugreek', obviously without reading my whole post. Thinking of those experiences still hurts even though amends were...
Last year, when Dd turned 5, she announced she did not want a party. She did want presents though, but was firm she did not want a party even if it meant no gifts from miffed grandparents. We had a lovely day and hoped that Dd would want to pass on a 6th party, but she's invited friends si I guess we're having one. I read in the Gessell series book Your 5 Year Old, that 5 year olds aren't much into birthday parties. Saw it here. Dd has also had fears of getting...
Not quite the same, and I'm not sure how helpful any of this is but I'll just give you a few of my disconnected thoughts on the topic of stuff, newness, and my Dd, age 5. Dd loves new stuff just because it's new. She states, not in these words, that new things have a novelty that differs from old stuff, and we must admit this is true at least for those of us who are not Buddhist masters. I tell Dd it's OK, that it can be fun, to admire things. Wanting them doesn't...
I don't use dryer sheets - anymore, having studied their evils while learning to care for cloth diapers. I just read that in addition to other nastiness, they are designed to leave a PERMANENT smell. I went to my basement to get an old sweater I suddenly needed. I had put my sweaters away while I was pregnant. And to keep them from getting eau-de-basement - eeeks, I put a dryer sheet in with each sealed plastic bag of sweaters!!! Much of the smell came out of a...