or Connect

Posts by Curious

After dd passed her No phase (I raised her as one of those kids who was rarely told no, but she loved the concept once she discovered it), I was ready for the Why phase. This was pretty short. Then she went into "What if..." Followed by a million permutations of various situations. I wonder if she got this from my mother, who is always planning for a ziiion contingencies, with plans a through z. It can be very tiring! I know she just wants to keep the conversation...
Let me first say that we are fully committed to bedsharing, we are 'still' night nursing too. I wanted to lend another workd of support here for this Mama. But when Dd wanted to play during the night, I started a play tomorrow sleep now mantra. Also a snack tomorrow sleep now mantra, when need for such arose. I gave and still give unlimited snuggles. I can't force Dd to sleep but as she grew from baby to child, she needed to understand that adults need to sleep even if...
A friend just had a new baby, No. 5. Dd adores the baby. The other night she was sitting with me before bed, and she said wistfully, I want a sister. I didn't know what to say. So I said nothing and Dd picked up with, I have --- and she names several of her friends who are girls. She said, they can be my sisters. And I have --- she named the boys, and said, and I can have brothers too. My brothers and sisters don't even have to be in the same family! A friend of...
Thanks everyone. I started telling Dd more gentle than it sounds here, enough already! She'd konk out right away. Now she's not into talking so much. It seems to go in phases, and next time she goes through a talkative phase, I know that asking her to stop can work, without feeling like I'm stunting all sorts of emotional release.
I have a lot of thoughts on this as Dd is 5 and most likely to be an only child. From the start I suspected this would be the case and I made an effort to build a small but close network of friends for her, and to foster those friendships carefully. I work and have deadlines, and I've always let Dd know she is first in my heart but can't always be first on my schedule. She accepts that she is part of a household and when I have other responsibilities, be it housework or...
I'm sure there is a way to study this scientifically but I'll just say that I have maintained a very high fat vegetarian diet because this how I feel best and my family has no problems with fat. I am quite thin, with no bodily reserves. I eat lots of nut butters, raw organic dairy, organic eggs, some fish, and an omega 3 supplement. When I pumped I could see that my milk had a thick layer of fat. (I even know it had a very buttery taste). Even though I had low chronic...
I would surprise people who knew me in the past too. The reasons are different but it would be the same incredulity. I was a total career nerd, driven toward success, known for public announcements declaring I would never marry and have kids. My all time low was when I commented to my boyfriend at the time that I thought his SIL was good because she was breastfeeding her new baby - out in her car - while the rest of us were having dinner at his parents; oh talk about...
Would it be more fun if you sang back? Dd and I can go for hours (you might not want to come to our house), singing about cleaning up the bed after naptime, helping with dinner, etc. I'm inspired by all sorts of different music styles, so I can bring different moods to Dd's singing. It's actually really fun, and we can get some real communication done. If you could sing in the lower registers, your Dd might follow you there. You know, if you can't beatem, joinem!
Last year Dd was riding on my back in our Ergo carrier, on an elevator at a hotel where Dh was attending a conference. Some really obnoxious guy got in her face, and started grilling her on who her favorite princess was. She was dumbstruck (unusual for Dd). So he goes on. Is it Jasmine? Is it Ariel? Finally I turned a bit to face him and said, her favorite is Princess Dd (I used her name). Huh, he says, and he studders, whose that? I pointed to Dd....
When Dd was really small, I started a nighttime mantra, Play Tomorrow, Sleep Now. Because she'd want to get out of bed and play. It worked, and evolved into Talk Tomorrow, Sleep Now. OK for a long time. Now she's 5, and of course has lots on her mind and things to ponder and share, and I know that the time before bed can be a good time for airing and sharing things that might not otherwise come up even though we are together and talking most of the day. She says the...